Tips on Cleaning an Aquarium After Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I recently had a really bad outbreak of ich and now my 29 gallon tank is fishless. I would like to re-stock it eventually but I'm scared that the parasite will still be in the tank. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

I'm down to 3 fish due to ick. well out of 4. Still, I hated to lose a clown loach.
My local aquarium guy suggested to remove all substrate (gravel in my case).
I rinsed it several times in hot water and then took it outside to dry under the sun. Will put it back once the ick is gone.

In a fishless tank ich will die off in I "think" 30 days but look that amount of time up to be sure. You can also turn the heat up to 86 while it's fishless for a week or two and the parasite will die off. IMO you don't need to clean the aquarium. Over the years, the couple times I had to deal with it I never cleaned a tank afterwards.

Hello all,
I recently had a really bad outbreak of ich and now my 29 gallon tank is fishless. I would like to re-stock it eventually but I'm scared that the parasite will still be in the tank. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

It takes ich three to for Weeks to die off if you are testing with chemicals like API super ich cure you have to remove your filter with the carbon

Back
Top Bottom