Tips on keeping Aquaclear filter media down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 ac filters and for some reason the media like to rise inside making the ceramic part rise so much it's then above the water level. The sponge and the carbon pads are the only things submerged. The whole grey basket itself rises inside the filter housing. Any tips on keeping them down would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ditch the carbon, how often do you change it? How often do you clean the sponge?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The sponge is plugged up squeeze it in tank water in a bucket to clean it

Haven't changed the carbon yet and I clean the sponge every few months. My ac 50 has been doing it since day 1

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ewwwww dude... haha.. that's way too long. I squueze mine weekly and it turns the bucket brown. Carbon expires after a couple weeks you know;)

I use a cut to fit fiber pad, if you're not to clean it at least bi-weekly I wouldn't recommend anything because I don't want to be responsible for flooding your domicile. .

Last edited:
Oh Paul.. you and your ac vendetta;)
You're right. If it were not for the Fluval C series, I'd be running canisters on both my tanks. No way AquaClears produce the kind of incredible crystal clear, polished, and "sparkly" water like Fluval C's or canisters.

I got much better quality water from my cheap WalMart AquaTech by using custom media and micron polishing pads than I got from the AquaClear. But the AquaTech was a MAJOR pain to service with custom media so I treated myself to the Fluval C's.

Put a rock on the top. I prefer thicker gray slate, it matches. I run a double sponge & floss, at one time they didn't sell these filters with the Bio Max. Worked just fine without it, the sponges hold nitrifying bacteria as well as a sponge filter does.

Back
Top Bottom