Tips to go from fake plants to real?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone!

After my diatom outbreak runs it's course, I want to slowly transition from fake plants to real. I'm looking for suggestions on types of plants, as well as learning the requirements of keeping them healthy (fertilizer, light requirements). I also don't know if certain fish will destroy them and make a mess. Currently, the only real plants (not really plants, but...) I have in there are Java Moss and a Morimo ball. Hopefully you guys can recommend some low maintenance plants, good for beginners.

Here's my tank info-
48 gallon bow front freshwater
Stocked with Neons, Red Eye Tetras, Danios and Otos
pH 7.6. Fully cycled with ~5ppm nitrAtes
Lighting is 2 T-5 bulbs. 1 actinic, 1 Ultra Sun
Normal aquarium gravel substrate

Thanks guys!

Thanks...I'm gonna try and get some free AA advice before I look to Amazon. I really just want to start with basic stuff. Kind of like how a kid starts with a goldfish and works his way up to discus. I just refuse to clean all these diatoms when they die off, so instead of replacing everything, I figured I'd convert to real plants.

First, I would just go for it. Get a hardy plant like anarchis. You dont have to keep it in there forever. Just so u can practice. I have frill in my 0 gallon and I have never had to do anything to it other than rebury the roots in gravel a few times. I set my light timer so it has lights on for like all day, then at night it is in 30 min intervals. They grow fine. U could do frill too. I recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom