Tiretrack eel question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mananhammer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a couple of questions about the tiretrack eel. It seems that he would be what i am looking for in an eel. They say he likes to burrow in sandy substrate which is what i have. A couple of questions come to mind.

1. Is he (or she sorry ladies) going to be completely freshwater? I have aquarium salt in the tank in the ratio of one table spoon per 5 gal. The reason i ask is i had a dragon goby in freshwater and he has since passed because of this. Now i want to avoid this tragedy in the future.

2. Will he be ok with my other stock: 2 parkinsoni rainbows, 1 paradise fish, 1 bosemni rainbow, 1 south african rasbora, 1 gold mystery snail, 1 blue mystery snail.

3. Does any one have one of these and what is their behavior? I am looking for an eel that will burrow and make use of the sand substrate.

If he is not a good choice for my tank please some suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Sorry i forgot i have a 55 gal fw tank. The little things I forget.

Last edited:
So first I'd like to say that I'm jealous because I've always wanted a tire track eel, but I don't have a big enough tank for it. I have never had an eel and don't know much at all about keeping them but I was guess that salt won't be good for him. I think eels are scaleless fish and they tend to not deal well with salt. Why do you use salt? Could you be fine with not using it anymore?

I use simple aquarium salt. The reason I used it was for the dragon goby. I dont see why I cant stop. The dragon goby i was told could be acclimated to freshwater but unfortunately this opinion was on the minority. Whether he got a parasite or could not survive in freshwater at his age is anyone's guess. But i had to watch him slowly die. Now i want to make sure that doesnt happen again. So I could stop using salt sure. I was told that it was for the health of the fish and the goby. Releaves stress and such.

Back
Top Bottom