TLC Start Smart... anyone heard of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so my 48 gallon finished cycling yesterday. Nitrites went from over 10 down to 0 overnight. Then my PH crashed today (which I'm learning is common at the end of a cycle). I've got the PH back up with pwc's. Now my ammonia eating bacteria seems to not be quite as hungry as before.

When I bought all my supplies, I threw in a bottle of TLC Start Smart (not Safe Start), even though I wasn't planning on using it. Since I'm on the verge of panic since I was so close to a completed cycle I'm thinking of adding it in to see if it helps give the bacteria a little boost.

Seems virtually nobody has heard of it, but the people who have swear it works miracles. Does anyone here have familiarity with it? I figure it probably wont help anything, but it couldn't hurt either... suggestions?

Here's the website for it- TLC®TenderLivingCare
It's even got it's own Facebook fan page.

I never believe those guys - although there are reports of bio-spira having actual successful results here on AA.

If you already have it, I don't think it'll hurt anything, but I honestly don't think it'll help you either.

If your bacteria have died off because of lack of food during your cycle you're just completing, how do you think the "bacteria" living in the bottle are surviving?

neilanh said:
I never believe those guys - although there are reports of bio-spira having actual successful results here on AA.

If you already have it, I don't think it'll hurt anything, but I honestly don't think it'll help you either.

If your bacteria have died off because of lack of food during your cycle you're just completing, how do you think the "bacteria" living in the bottle are surviving?

I've given the exact advice to others on this forum, lol. I'm just grasping at straws at this point to make sure I don't reverse the progress on my newly (fishless) cycled tank. :)

Although they generally don't work, you already spent the money, and I don't see how it could hurt anything. Even if it doesn't help, at least you gave it a try and didn't completely waste money by leaving it sitting in your supply bucket( or wherever you keep your supplies)

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I decided to follow the same advice I've given to everyone else and I dumped it in. Figured I'd rather pour $18 into my tank rather than the drain. My main concern with the product is if it might effect PH since thats the problem I'm dealing with now.

Hey you know I used bacteria in the bottle. Something worked for me...Devine intervention or something.

Sent from my DROIDX using Aquarium

Start Smart is quite magical.

Just to throw in my two cents (nearly a year later at that), I've used Start Smart on several tanks and not only did it instantly cycle the aquarium and regulate the chemistry, it also maintained water clarity for a ridiculously long period of time. I've used it for tropical fish (10 gallons: guppies, corydoras, algae shrimp) but I've used it with my own North American native fish (pumpkinseed, creek chubs, various shiners) that are notoriously dirty fish, and it's kept both crystal clear better than anything I've used before.

I can't speak to the pH issues but as far as ammonia and nitrogen it works great. Adding the Start Smart was probably better than waiting all that time cycling.

I am curious to see how this product works for you. Please keep us posted on the results (positive or negative)!! :)

Back
Top Bottom