To Assassinate or Not???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotsofbabies

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, so my Apple snail numbers are getting out of hand (I stop counting at 62 babies in 1 tank) , no matter how many wc's and cooking of stones, "furniture" and filters I'm doing. :(

Now I'm seriously considering getting assassin snails, but I googled them and saw a post on a similar forum, where the assassin snails bred just as much as apple snails, thus my problem won't be solved. :confused:

Any ideas, advice or help much appreciated!!! :brows:

Apple and Assassin Snails are beautiful!!

OH YES! How long does it take an assassin to kill another snail? Also, what do they eat?

I originally got the Apple Snails as they keep the tank clean by eating algea....

Other snails that might kill off spring snails and still eat algea???

:thanks:

i dont think an assassin snail can handle anything but thye youngest apple snail. but they dont breed much. just take them out when you can until the numbers are back donw,and destroy any eggsacs you find. and assassin snails eat snails

i meant reach in and grab the apple snails,then pull them out. you could probably get store credit at an lfs for them

i meant reach in and grab the apple snails,then pull them out. you could probably get store credit at an lfs for them

lol, I do that, but somehow babies still appear....

Because apple snail lay above the water line the easiest way to control the population is to scrape the egg sacks off, freeze then discard.

not all my apple snails lay above the water line! As soon as I see a cluster I destroy it, but those eggs in the substrate or water or where ever they freaking come from....

I mean, I had Bruce's tank completely empty except for Bruce (rainbow shark)...few weeks later BAM! 85 baby apple snails..........

I removed the male from the females (adults), but this won't help as the babies seem to be laying eggs????? :confused:

Are you positive all the babies are apple snails?

You too the words right out of my mouth! Are you sure you are not seeing ramshorn snails? The very young look almost the same.

Yes, as I started off with 4 adult apple snails who then started laying eggs above and below water line...

Trust me, I've researched VERY well and they are all apple snails!

AND I've never had ANY other snails EVER... The 4 adults mentioned above were my first venture into snails in aquariums... I NEVER pour the shop/store water in my tanks, only the fish, so it really can not be any other snails.

Polkadot loaches do a good job of clearing out small snails. They worked well for me

Will the loaches get along with my guppies? As my tanks are strictly guppies and apple snails. Well, soon to be ONLY guppies... AND what do loaches eat and how fast and how many should I get?

Polka dot loaches are great for this and will get along great with guppies

Assassin snails will not over populate your tank if you do decide to get them. I remember one person telling me that they've had assassin snails for years and years but only had about 10 baby's I believe. Lynda-b has assassin snails, hopefully she can tell you how long she's had her assassins and tell you how many baby's hers had. But they will NOT get out of control and hey, you can always sell them!

and saw a post on a similar forum, where the assassin snails bred just as much as apple snails,

No, assassins spawn very slowly........ you will not get inundated with assassins babies, but they're really really cute....... :D

Back
Top Bottom