To buy or not to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS has a used 55gal with solid wood stand and canopy for $100. No lights are included though. They will sell the tank by itself for $30. The only downfall is the top brace is broke into but I have fixed this kind of problem before. Also there is a crack in the plastic on a bottom corner. Is it worth it?

there is a crack in the plastic on a bottom corner

What plastic? You mean, a crack in the tank? If there is a crack, then as mcd says I'd leave the tank behind and take the hood and stand. If the crack is in something else then it may be ok.

I'd just but a new tank, why waste the $ getting it fixed when you can be sure its safe and never used, as a new tank? Take the stand and lights leave the tank behind

coldmachineUK said:
there is a crack in the plastic on a bottom corner

What plastic? You mean, a crack in the tank? If there is a crack, then as mcd says I'd leave the tank behind and take the hood and stand. If the crack is in something else then it may be ok.

The crack is in the plastic frame on the bottom corner of the tank. I think I'll pass on this one then. I really don't know where I would put it right now anyway. It's just that I have wanted a 55g for some time now and $30 is hard to pass on.

The stand is worth more than the $100 dollars. The tank ends up being the cheap part. What kind of stand is it?

If it's a wooden canopy you'll be able to drill or bore holes in for light fixtures yourself, I've done that before using a bradawl.
If the plastic frame to the tank is a support of some sort, then a crack is a problem. If this piece of plastic (I really am trying my best to picture it but have no idea) is easily removed and actually has nothing to do with the tank itself or supporting it, then you could just remove it.

Tell you what, here's what I'd do:

1. Buy the lot.
2. Take the tank apart from the stand: def. keep the stand and canopy.
3. Put the tank outside.
4. Fill it with water.
5. Leave it and see what happens overnight.

If it leaks, then you've a problem so get rid of it.
Tanks which are not structurally sound rarely explode like the great stories we all know about describe. They generally leak first, and THEN explode. So, fill it and check for leaks (or, if it explodes straight off then you won't have to :p hehe)

Back
Top Bottom