Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

To Ram or not To Ram

Well I finally found a GBR and I'm ecstatic. Got her on Sat. and she's doing well. Unfortunately, the big angels I had in my 55 dont seem to want to stop chasing her so they had to move to my bros 75g. My question is this, I REALLY want a male to put with her and I found one today at lunch.....the thing is...he's at Petsmart, been there since at least Monday when I first saw him. He's hiding under the edge of the only plant in the tank and doesnt look happy or very healthy..No visible disease and I figure if he's still alive at Petsmart, once he gets to my tank he would love it, BUT am I pushing it? I know better than to buy sickly fish, but GBR's are hard to come by in my area and I've been checking in with 6 different LFS for the past couple months and it doesn't look like any more are coming soon. I just don't want to take a chance on hurting the rest of the fish in my tank, I'm pretty sure the GBR at Petsmart isn't going to make it if he doesn't get out of there. Please save me (and my other fish) from myself

Old 08-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you do, I would QT him for at least two months before putting him in the main tank. Some diseases take longer to show than others and can remain dormant for awhile, so the longer the QT the better. But in a few months there might also be a better shipment of GBRs as well. It all depends on what you want to do, I guess.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Never buy a sick fish. You especially never buy a sick fish if you don't have a cycled QT tank to put it into while you try to "save" it.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks peeps, I kinda felt that was the right thing but sometimes I just get so *&^% impatient. Appreciate the good advice!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You learn as you go that patience pays..... not only for your own peace of mind, but also for the health and well-being of your existing fish. Hurried choices are impulse choices and that almost never ends well for anyone.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com