To Save Fry or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wingman-Goose

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I was looking to get an idea of people's choices when it comes to saving fry!

I have Mollys that breed alot and it's hard to keep on top of. I also find that once o see the fry I have to save them and wondered how many people did the same?

So do you all save your fry or leave them in the main tank and see if any survive?

Depends what fry. ;)

Right now I only have kribs that are breeding and I'll save as many fry as I can. I'm selling them to local LFS's so the more I save the more money I get. When I had guppies I would let them do their thing. Eventually they took over and I had to net the fry and feed them to my angelfish.

if you have too many mollies and no-one that wants them when they get bigger, you should let them get eaten in the main tank really.

i use any fry from guppies or mollies as feeders for my cichlids. i cant bear to leave a mum to birth in the main tank - i love to watch! but then i have a swarm of unwanted babies... lunch time for an oscar haha

cool thread :)

Saving Fry

Hi,

I was looking to get an idea of people's choices when it comes to saving fry!

I have Mollys that breed alot and it's hard to keep on top of. I also find that once o see the fry I have to save them and wondered how many people did the same?

So do you all save your fry or leave them in the main tank and see if any survive?

Hello Wing...

I also keep "Livebearers" and have fry in my tanks about every month, because I change out 60 to 70 percent of the water every week. It seems like the cleaner the water, the more fry I get.

I've always kept all the fish in the same tank. Have never separated the females and fry. I have a very high fry survival rate, because I feed the fish quite often and my tanks are heavily planted and I have a lot of Water wisteria and Pennywort floating. I don't know about other tropical freshwater fish, but with my Livebearers, I've noticed that well fed adults show little or no interest in the fry.

Hope this info is helpful.

B

Cheers for the answers so far!

I was getting alot of fry and saved about 80 fry over 2/3 months! They are all grown now and I have about 50 away but am still offloading more!

They stopped breeding for a while due to a house move but now they are breeding again and had my first new fry today, as well as spotting 3 more pregnant mollys!

I have already filled my second tank with Mollies I still need to give away and they are breeding quicker than I can give them away!

My SAEs and Rams have eaten loads of fry over the months but I still have lots left!

I have a lot of fish in my comunity tank. My swordtails seem to have fry often. I never have to actively resuce them/relocate them. I do already provide plenty of place for fry to hang out and be safe. I have underneath my driftwood, floating plants and other nocks and crannys where they hide / hang out. A lot of them have survived. If a fry is eaten or dies somehow then I just think that it is apart of the circle of life. Also I provide my Frys, "First bite" food and mirco pellets that are places into the floating plants where they usually hang out. :fish2:

I have to save mine! I don't like to see my babies get eaten. You could tack up some free fish signs around town, or post on Facebook. That's how I got rid of mine. With the ones I keep I've got a boy tank and girl tank and separate them as soon as I can tell the difference.

I save mine but that's because I'm a compassionate mother ;)
We've been offered to sell our babies to the lfs so that's what we'll do.

If you cannot handle trying to offload the babies then I would say don't save them. Let the natural cycle happen in the tank. You will likely get a few babies survive, but definitely not all.

I save mine :D I have platy but they are still livebearers. If you have room I would keep them like I do or sell/give them away. Or keep some give some but it's all up to you.

It is important to take the guppy fry out so that you can feed them alot and make them grow big. If you leave them in the main tank they will be stunted from lack of food becauz the adults will gobble most of it up.

Back
Top Bottom