To separate, or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tsquad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have 5 guppies and 6 white skirt tetras in a 20g tank. Everything was fine for about 3 months, until we new of my guppies just vanished, assuming it was eaten or something. That was 2-3 weeks ago. Last night I went to feed them and one If my guppies was resting on the bottom with 1/4 of his tail missing. I took him out and put him in a small tank for the time being, but I’m starting to think I should separate the fish to prevent more issues. Is this normal, or could I be doing something to provoke such behavior?

Your Fish

Hello,

I have 5 guppies and 6 white skirt tetras in a 20g tank. Everything was fine for about 3 months, until we new of my guppies just vanished, assuming it was eaten or something. That was 2-3 weeks ago. Last night I went to feed them and one If my guppies was resting on the bottom with 1/4 of his tail missing. I took him out and put him in a small tank for the time being, but I’m starting to think I should separate the fish to prevent more issues. Is this normal, or could I be doing something to provoke such behavior?

Hello T...

Tetras can be aggressive unless you have a well planted tank and there are fewer Tetras than other fish species in the tank. I keep various species of Tetras in community tanks where they are in the minority and they pretty much keep to themselves. My tanks are heavily planted and significantly larger than 20 gallons. Add some floating plants like Water lettuce or Hornwort to the tank. This will allow a more peaceful fish to escape any that are more aggressive and look into the possibility of a larger tank.

B

Thanks Brad,

I wold love to get a larger tank, but just don’t have the funds for it yet, but that is the plan. I also want to get into live plants, instead of fake, but I am trying to figure out where to start. I have gravel, and don’t really want to restart my tank to change the sub, and I know not all plants will grow in gravel. I also just have a 20g Aquion kit from Petco, and I do not know if that LED lite will be suitable for plants.

So it sounds like I either need a larger tank, create more hiding spots, or separate the fish ehh? Are the live plants just for the hiding spots, or is there another benefit to them?

Thanks Brad,

I wold love to get a larger tank, but just don’t have the funds for it yet, but that is the plan. I also want to get into live plants, instead of fake, but I am trying to figure out where to start. I have gravel, and don’t really want to restart my tank to change the sub, and I know not all plants will grow in gravel. I also just have a 20g Aquion kit from Petco, and I do not know if that LED lite will be suitable for plants.

So it sounds like I either need a larger tank, create more hiding spots, or separate the fish ehh? Are the live plants just for the hiding spots, or is there another benefit to them?

T...

The floating plants aren't planted, you simply drop individuals stems in to the tank. They'll grow floating close to the light source. The problem is, lights that come with a kit are just for lighting the inside, so you can see into the tank. They're not really for growing plants. Check with your local pet store that carries fish and see if they have a stronger light that will fit. Just get the information on your current light and have that with you when you go. Plants will do a couple of things: They'll help filter the tank water and plants make the fish feel more comfortable in their home.

B

Those *skirt tetras can be nippy. Not all tetras are though. I have Ember tetras and they are quite passive.
I’m using guppy grass as a fry shelter. It grows relatively quickly and is not dependent on the substrate (though it will send down occasional roots). On the bottom I have clumps of subwassertang (often referred to as a moss but it is more like a liverwort). Both plants are low light and I dont add fertilizers.
Though I am not using stock lighting, I have kept both under stock lighting in a shallow tank.
Here is a pic of both plants in a 29g: IMG_7515.jpg

Well, my injured fish was dead when I woke up this morning. Had him by himself in a small 2 gallon tank. Went to Petco last night and got some meds to prevent fin rot. Woke up this morning and he was floating belly up on the bottom with a white film on him. I don’t think he was eating the last few days. Don’t quite know what was wrong.

IME with my 29g from Petco......you can keep any low light plants from Petco with the standard LED strip lighting under the hood. I have gravel as well. I do add Thrive fertilizer and it helped growth but before that the plants were living off fish poop.

That's assuming your 20g came with a hood and LED strip.

IME with my 29g from Petco......you can keep any low light plants from Petco with the standard LED strip lighting under the hood. I have gravel as well. I do add Thrive fertilizer and it helped growth but before that the plants were living off fish poop.

That's assuming your 20g came with a hood and LED strip.

Yes it did come with an LED hood. I will have to do some research and pick some plants out.

It will grow most low light plants then. I keep my lights on for 10 hours and it seems to be just the right amount of time. I strongly recommend using Thrive liquid fertilizer though as it really made my plants take off.

Idk how your Petco is set up but they generally carry mostly low light plants at my local store. Another option is buying from members of this forum like goatnad and Tunamanphd. Great prices for what you get.

Back
Top Bottom