to stand or not to stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lorus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I am trying to figure out what to put the 75G aquarium on. What are the alternatives to the stand? I saw a post here of a guy who put the aquarium on a buffet.

What are other non-stand foundation people have used? Can I perhaps put two lesser non-stands to form a super stand?

Thanks,

Lorus...

Both my 29 and 10 sit on piano benches.For what ever reason we accumulated a couple as tables over the years.

I do not recommend putting anything larger than 29 gal on a piece of furniture. A 75 should definitely go on a stand that is equipped to hold the weight.

Just be careful what you choose. That thing will be pushing 800 pounds when full. I would imagine the bottom of a china closet, if very well made, could handle the weight.

Anything made of sturdy oak wood could also bear the weight but will likely cost you just as much. The thing you see the most often that causes disasters is when people put their 30+ gallon tanks on the Wal-Mart special. All wal-mart furniture is made of particle board which makes great cheap computer desks but means your tank will be on the floor in about a hundread pieces.

Piano benches actually make sense. They are designed to hold the weight of two adults, furthermore they usually design them for worst case scenarios which means 2 250lb people. So 500 lbs isnt bad for a 29 gallon fish tank.

Alshain said:
The thing you see the most often that causes disasters is when people put their 30+ gallon tanks on the Wal-Mart special. All wal-mart furniture is made of particle board which makes great cheap computer desks but means your tank will be on the floor in about a hundread pieces.

Definitely not Wal-Mart. I wanted something that maybe I could make look more stylish later on. Piano bench is an interesting idea.

Lorus....

So long as we are on the subject, I found this site http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/75g_stand/index.shtml a while back, but the first time around I found it difficult to follow the instructions. I looked at it again recently and figured out pretty much what needs to be done.

Are there more detailed plans on the web with exact measuremenmts?

Thanks,

Lorus....

That is a really good looking stand. I'm going to be building a new stand for my 90g within the next few months, and I'll probably have to spend some time at a friend's house using his woodworking tools (I don't have a tablesaw or a router).

I've seen other plans before, but to be honest lorus, those are some of the most in depth ones that I've looked at. Most plans I've seen use 2x4s as vertical supports in the corners (even on stands for very large tanks). This one seems a good deal sturdier.

Thanks for the link ;). I bookmarked it for when I get the time to build it :lol:

JRagg said:
That is a really good looking stand. I'm going to be building a new stand for my 90g within the next few months, and I'll probably have to spend some time at a friend's house using his woodworking tools (I don't have a tablesaw or a router).

I've seen other plans before, but to be honest lorus, those are some of the most in depth ones that I've looked at. Most plans I've seen use 2x4s as vertical supports in the corners (even on stands for very large tanks). This one seems a good deal sturdier.

Thanks for the link ;). I bookmarked it for when I get the time to build it :lol:

Wow... Did I just give somebody advice being a complete noob? Cool. 8O

My 75g is on an old solid oak coffee table, with legs ~4" in diameter. You could say it was made "when things were made with quality" and all that. You could park a car on that!

lol my 55 gallon is on a solid oak dresser thats about 6 feet long. Basically a stand is the best way to go. If you have doubts about it dont do it, you dont want a broken "stand" tank and 75 gallons of water rushing through your house lol.

an update on this thread.

I have actually built the stand. Minus side moldings and doors.

I have used a $12.00 hand saw, $60.00 cordless drill from Lowe's, about $50.00 worth of lumber from Home Depot, about $15.00 worth of wooden screws and nails.

A few comments on the plans presented on the page. First, you need more lumber then is specified. While 10' 4x4 is sufficient, you need 2 12' 2x4, not 10'. 2*16'' + 2*49" = 10.8333333... feet. Plan accordingly. Second, don't user 2 1/2" wooden screws, use 3". Don't use 1" screws, use 1 1/4 ".

Since I used hand saw to cut, it has taken me a while and the cuts were not exact. In the end the stand fame came out somewhat crooked. But the design is so strong and longer screws overcome these faults. Plus it looks like the weight of the aquarium will also put a strain on the frame to straighten it out.

Tools that I wish I had: circular saw with adjustable depth and a medium height bench where wood could be attached with c-clamps.

Later edit:

Cutting the notches in 4x4's was what took most of the time and effort. Other then that it was OK. Another part that I skipped initially is pre-dripping the hosles for wooden screws. The drill bit should be slightly smaller then a screw. Screws that I got from Home Depot proved to be very easy when stripping the head, so be careful.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to be building this stand in 3-4 months. That must have taken forever to cut 4x4's with a hand saw. You're more patient than me. I'm going to drive an hour to my buddy's house so that I can use his mitre saw and table saw (for the adjustable depth cuts). If I get the cuts right the first time, that could potentially save me a good deal of time.

That is a well detailed article, but I wouldn't use 4 x 4s. The reason is that most 4 x 4s are heartwood, the very centre of the tree, and tend to warp and twist like crazy. Two 2 x 4s would be better, although not necessary.

BillD said:
That is a well detailed article, but I wouldn't use 4 x 4s. The reason is that most 4 x 4s are heartwood, the very centre of the tree, and tend to warp and twist like crazy. Two 2 x 4s would be better, although not necessary.

That is why Home Depot and other lumber yards carry only pressure treated 4x4's.

lorus said:
That is why Home Depot and other lumber yards carry only pressure treated 4x4's.
Not sure what your point is. Pressure treated 4 x 4s are always heartwood, and terribly prone to twisting when they dry out.

Back
Top Bottom