To Whom It May Concern, LOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, you know those very beautiful, sleek looking, puppy-eyed fire eels I have? THEY HAVE TEEETH, LOL. I went to feed them, and they were no where to be found. So I listened, and they both were in my Emperor 400, LOL. So what did I do? I stuck my hand in to spook them out, lol. I got one out, but the other took a chunk out of my finger, lol. And it hurt, LOL. From looking at them, you would never think they have teeth, lol. Now they are PO'd at me, lol. Wonder if I have a pair, lol.

this sounds like when i realized that anemone in my reef tank could hurt me. I stuck my hand in to move my stupid anemone that liked to go away from the light and it took me about 2 days before i could feel my fingers again :D

My uncle was bit by a couple of his african cichlids hehe Fish are funny at times

At least it was only a fire eel. A friend who owns an lfs (and should have known better) had a bigger chunk taken out when he teased a moray. It took quite a while to heal, his hand was bandaged for weeks.

My puffer fish scares me. And my botias do also. Why is it that we keep fish that can inflict pain?! lol! We must all be crazy...it's the only answer.

:D

Dude I know what you mean man. My botias are wicked.

The only other thing I'm really afraid of is my 10" Pacu. A couple months ago he started to get some big theeth. Now when he opens his mouth, you can definately see some little razors in there.

LWB, maybe you do have a pair, that'd be pretty cool.

I am always weary of sticking my hand in my piranha's tank. Most of the time she will go to the other side but needless to say if i tried to grab at her it might be a major mistake.

coldmachineUK said:
And my botias do also.:D

Do my clown loaches have teeth??? Most of the time they don't go near my hand when it is in the tank, but should I be worried???

Oh, no, they don't have teeth but they do have razor sharp spines just under their eyes, usually retracted, but which they'll use if cornered etc.
This also complicates netting them - make sure to use a less fine net so they don't get themselves caught up and damaged.

Edit: Here, I found a clip of a modesta showing them :)
http://www.loaches.com/audio_video/spine_flash.mov

Nope :) And it's only loaches in the botia family that have the evil spines of pain :)

lol my betta bit my one time and actually held on as i removed my hand from the water. it didnt hurt but suprised the hell out of. my shrimp always go at my arm when i put it in the tank. its funny casue u can feel them trying to grab hold of u.

No, fire eels are not loaches. Not even true eels, lol. Here's a couple pics, took them recently. 13 inches each.

I had to get them out of my filter again this morning, lol. This time a different compartment, lol. Since I have 2 Emperor 400's, they have 4 suites to choose from, lol.

55g32.jpg

55g35.jpg

Sounds interesting. They say that fire eels spawn in floating plants. Wonder if I should get some Brazilian Pennywort?

man you are lucky it wasn't something nastier. I got stung by a foxface lo before. I was ill all day, I could barely walk straight, throwing up, felt almost drunk but not pleasantly at all. It was horrible.

I still have a scar from an oscar I had in 1989. He bit me when he took a nightcrawler out of my fingers. I didn't let go fast enough.

hc8719 said:
i take it they only eat feeders at that size?

Actually, they will only eat bloodworms. If I mix in beefheart or brine shrimp, then they will eat both when they suck in the bloodworms. But they don't touch any live fish.

fish_4_all said:
I still have a scar from an oscar I had in 1989. He bit me when he took a nightcrawler out of my fingers. I didn't let go fast enough.

i dont keep oscars, but they have teeth?

Back
Top Bottom