Too many platy fry.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lego fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi can anyone give me some advice on my fish?
I have 3 ghost shrimp and 2 Corey's. I got 4 platys, one or so must have already been pregnant and I now have dozens of fry. My tank is over run, it's only 15 gallons. (12"x12"x24") Can you suggest the best way to get this under control? I'm not sure wether I should try and remove the fry or females, although i don't have another tank. or should I just cull the platys, and try and leave some males, or get some bigger fish which will eat the fry. I'm finding it hard to tell the males and females apart too. What's my best option?
Thanks in advance for any replies! :fish1: x

Just feed a little less most won't survive. I've had a few platy births and just feed less minimizes the number that grow up.

Thanks, I will cut down on feeding them, although lots of them have got really big already. How many should i have in my tank?
:fish2:

If most have already grown then I suggest try to sell them, gift them. I only feed less at first when they're first born

Your local store is your best bet. You may be able to trade them for store credit or whatever. Being platys unless some fancy variant they are not worth much.

Ok I will ask today. (y) I'm not bothered about getting money for them, just don't want my tank over stocked! Is it right that I should have total fish to an inch a gallon? Is that including my shrimp and Corey's?

Mmmm fairly outdated method. Good to start with when you are just starting out. What's the gallons an hour ratio on the filter? How frequent are your water changes and how much?

I'm not sure what the gallons an hour ratio on the filter is, how would I find that out, and i do weekly water changes.

It states for me on the little power pack where I plug it in. If you know the make and brand then you can google it.

Ok I will have a look for them, how do you work out the amount from these figures?

It was 400 litres per hour, which works out to just under 88 gallons per hour. (87.98)

That's good. Then it shouldn't be a problem with filtration then just keep up on your water changes and it'll be fine

Thanks, so does that mean that I should keep 15 fish then? Including or not including shrimp and Corey's?

I think be careful about it. Try and keep the number of platys to three or five max. Try and increase your corys to 4-5 should really be in a 20gal for the footprint. Just be selective which what platys you keep and sell. I have a few strong strains of sunburst platys and have gotten some nice variations out of mixing with other colour variants.

Back
Top Bottom