Too many snails!! How do I get rid of them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IceH2O said:
This is just my opinion and not meant to trash anyone but I find it in bad taste and advice to suggest to a person a certain fish just to fix a problem when there are other alternatives. In this instance a clown loach was suggested. Clowns like to be in groups of 3 or more, one by himself won't be as happy and will be more stressed than 3 are. Not to mention when you suggest fish you should make sure you know the other inhabitants and tank size.

Bad taste? Bad advice?
I disagree.

First off I have rarely seen any personal fish tank with 3 Clown Loaches. Several folks here report having one and only one happy and adjusted Clown Loach.
If someone suggests buying a clown, yo-yo, coolie, tiger loach... hell if someone suggested to me to get ANY type of fish... I would take that advice and do further research (or ask more questions here) on my own before just running out and blindly following the advice here. Wouldn't you? Wouldn't anyone?
I doubt anyone ran right out and bought a clown. It's NOT our responsibility to make sure his fishes are all compatible.

IMO, I think you are outta' line here.

I'm not out of line because I 1st stated this is IMO, which excuses me from being out of line.

If you research as you say you do every loach site tells you they do better in groups of 3 or more. Show me one that says different.

I'm not saying its impossible to keep just 1 clown, just like its not impossible to keep 1 neon, 1 cory, 1 rainbow or any other schooling/shoaling fish. But there is a dramatic difference in behavior when you put them with others of their kind.

If someone suggests I get a certain fish I just reach for one of the 3 Innes editions I have on my desk. Then the internet. Then I ask a question here. Many types of Loaches were suggested, not only the Tiger.
The original poster was given options. It is his job to either ask us more questions (can I put a clown with xyz fish?), since he didn't provide much info, or research on his own if a particular loach is right for him.
That's what this board is all about.
One loach or 3?
One can live a long healthy life in an aquarium. You just won't see him much. 3 will be more active and playfull.

This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.

Sorry everyone. Just annoyed that a guy with 10 posts comes in here and tells all you AA veterans that you gave bad advice. I won't say anymroe.

Because I just joined this forum I don't know what I'm talking about? You only have 21 posts am I supposed to think you don't know anything either?

I could have 2000 posts on any other forum that I visit. Having 10 here doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about just means it took me longer to find this one.

I just gave an opinion and stated it was an opinion. You're the one that got all FishGod on me.

I still think and will forever advise to find out why something is happening and a better solution than adding fish.

I certainly never claimed you do not know what you are talking about.
You sound like you DO know what you are talking about.

But the forum is a give-and-take environment. OP asked for advice. Was given several options. It is his duty to ask further questions and seek out more info on the solutions given.

I am sure the folks with hundreds of posts are a bit tired of asking the same old "what size tank, what fish, what filtration" blablabla.

I never meant to imply that post count = knowledge. My point was simply your unfamiliarity with this particular forum. Let's see you in a year asking for the 100th time "what fish do you have in there now?".
;)

Hey, let's keep the attitudes elsewhere. This is a forum where we can learn from others, and share experiences with each other, not bicker and fight. IceH2O did say IMO, so like he said, it's his opinion, which is very much acceptable. They aren't saying it's only one way and that's how it has to be.

As for snail busting, yes, several loaches do well at it. As for the clown loaches, just remember, they do get big. If you don't have a large tank, then you do have other pretty cool looking alternatives, skunk loaches, yoyo's, Striped loaches, and others. And yes, all loaches do better in groups, but can also be happy as a single in most cases. There's been some cases where a loach doesn't live as long when kept as a single, but that's few and far between. Also, they don't have to be grouped all the same either. You can have a combo of types, like I do, and they all get along great. But my Striped Loaches do best at snail busting. And no, I'm not saying it's a fact for all Striped Loaches, just a fact in my particular tank.

So overall, loaches usually do well in fighting snail problems. And there are several different types and colors as well. So you have a good selection to choose from. And yes, I do recommend doing other research as well. Don't just rely on what 1 person says. That's how we all learn, from multiple resources. And that's the other great feature of this forum, lots of resources and knowledgable people available to help with your questions.

Also, welcome to the forum.

Anyways, how is it going withte snails the only problem with MTSs and using fish to take care of them, is that MTS have the thickest snail shells out of the more common types in aquaria. They also have a trapdoor. This means that alot of shell crushing type fish, like some loaches and larger puffers, will break their teeth and jaws on the shell. For the snil sucker, like otehr loaches and my ddwarf puffer, the trapdoor prevents them from gaining access tothe snail isnide..most of the time. ....but I do watch my puffer and my blue rams catch a few MTSs off guard and erradicate them.

In the puffer/ramtank, the MTSs have predators, and stay hidden dueing the day and come out at night.

In my other tanks, they dont have any predators. and they are all over the place all thetime.

Lets not bicker like a bunch of children. My experience has been this: I keep one clown loach in a 29 gal tank and currently keep two (yes, just two) in one of my 90 gal tanks. All are thriving and are just fine. While they may a a schooling fish in the wild, they can ADAPT to many situations, just like many other species we keep. One small loach may not be able to kill a large snail but when they work as team they can murderlize huge snails. The pair in my 90 gal recently moved a bunch a gravel with their mouths to retrieve a shrimp pellet. They took turns digging! They are great snail killers. If you have a large tank, by all means get at least two, keeping in mind how large they can get. JMO :)

I have kept fish since '92 and I think I have two posts on this board. Thanks all for the loach stories. I have not raised any loaches yet, but have always wanted to.

Keep posting and don't let others stop you. I love to read any opinions and the general discussion.

The snails in my tank are not MTS's, from the pics I have seen. They have thin, almost transparent shells...the loaches should have no problem with them. My LFS will be getting some fish in today, so I'll hopefully go pick up a few later this week.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

These forums have a cool feature that underlines the letters of acronyms and allows you the hold you curser over them and a definition will appear.Like LPS.
{edit:before I started this post that feature was working,but not now.Odd.}

On to a question...I see quite a few threads about snails and often they address over population.What I am completely lost on is why put them in a tank at all?I'm not trying to be funny in case the answer is obvious to eveyone else...I really have no idea why anyone would add them considering the potential issues.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

SCFatz said:
These forums have a cool feature that underlines the letters of acronyms and allows you the hold you curser over them and a definition will appear.Like LPS.
{edit:before I started this post that feature was working,but not now.Odd.}

On to a question...I see quite a few threads about snails and often they address over population.What I am completely lost on is why put them in a tank at all?I'm not trying to be funny in case the answer is obvious to eveyone else...I really have no idea why anyone would add them considering the potential issues.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

The acronym feature is still working.

Many people get snails or snail eggs on plants they buy. The snails/eggs often go unnoticed and it's usually too late before they do notice. The snails can multiply very quickly.

i think your getting confused between the types of snails. the overpopulation of snails are usually pond snails, the ones people buy to put in their tanks are malaysian trumpet snails (they aerate the sand)

Peregrine said:
MTS? Mighty Tiny Snails?
Most acronyms I've figured out, but MTS?

MTS=Malaysian Trumpet Snails

krap101 said:
i think your getting confused between the types of snails. the overpopulation of snails are usually pond snails, the ones people buy to put in their tanks are malaysian trumpet snails (they aerate the sand)

MTS can also overpopulate a tank, as I have a tank currently that is overpopulated by them right now. However, I do believe it is more common and easier to have an outbreak of pond snails.

lmw80 said:
Peregrine said:
MTS? Mighty Tiny Snails?
Most acronyms I've figured out, but MTS?

MTS=Malaysian Trumpet Snails

also with IE or FireFox you can hover over most accronyms and it will pop up a deffinition. MTS can also mean Multi-Tank Syndrom. Something many of us AA'ers suffer from ;)

SCFatz said:

:oops:
doh! That's so cool!!!

Back
Top Bottom