Too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DazF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all!!

I have seen a lot of pentazona barbs lately and really like the look of them (like tigers, but peaceful!)

Do you think I could get away with 114% stocked?
Im sure my filtration capacity is more than enough (tetra ex1200)
Everything is very peaceful in my tank at the moment, haven't added any new stock in month, I just don't want to disrupt the peace!

Also, I will probably be rehoming the dwarf gourami soon.

Do you think it would be too much?
(I know aq advisor isn't dead on)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433174711.134197.jpg

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Aqadvisor is usually conservative. I would feel ok going as high as 125%, as long as I could keep up with maintenance. Thats the key, really- as long as you could manage changing the water enough you'd be fine.

Thats what i thought :)
As i said pretty sure my filtration will be fine and i do a 40-50% wc every week.

Was just worried about territorial issues

Must... Resist... MTS!!

I'd rehome the rainbow shark, it'll get too big for your tank & they get territorially aggressive as they mature, you'd then have space for more pentazonas

I have had him now around 14 months (my fav fish!) and he is around 5 inches.
Pretty much keeps himself to himself as i have plenty of hiding spaces (pic below, you can just see the shark tail next to the moss ball :)), sometimes he will chase the barbs away but other than that he's probably more peaceful than the gourami...
I thought min tank size for rainbow shark was 50gal? Mines a 48 so just slightly under
Obviously if he becomes more aggressive i will rehome him but really don't want to rehome my fav fishy :(

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433239575.949672.jpg

Must... Resist... MTS!!

What are the dimensions of the tank? Depending on the dimensions 48 gallons may or may not be fine.

They are,

Aquarium Measurements: 101 x 41 x 50 cm

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Your tank is fine for a red tail shark. The bottom space actually has a larger area than a standard 55 gallon(the smallest size for a RTS IMO).

55 gallon: 4025 cm^2

48 gallon: 4141 cm^2

Your tank is fine for a red tail shark. The bottom space actually has a larger area than a standard 55 gallon(the smallest size for a RTS IMO).

55 gallon: 4025 cm^2

48 gallon: 4141 cm^2

I thought it was fine :) thanks for clearing that up!

Now decision time...
To go and buy 6-8 barbs or not lol

Must... Resist... MTS!!

There comes a point when you have to stop buying creatures and continue to upgrade the rest of your tank. Of course the fish are interesting and the centerpiece (generally) but developing a unique ecosystem that maintains its balance is really what is wonderful.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have enough plants for now until I buy a co2 system :)
However, I have decided not to buy the barbs just yet as i don't want to upset the peace

Must... Resist... MTS!!

There comes a point when you have to stop buying creatures and continue to upgrade the rest of your tank. Of course the fish are interesting and the centerpiece (generally) but developing a unique ecosystem that maintains its balance is really what is wonderful.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Nicely said and so true!

I have enough plants for now until I buy a co2 system :)
However, I have decided not to buy the barbs just yet as i don't want to upset the peace

Must... Resist... MTS!!
Kind of sad to hear this as I was interested how those guys behaved and got on in your tank.
Possibly a wise move though.
Rehome the DG and consider?

Nicely said and so true!

Kind of sad to hear this as I was interested how those guys behaved and got on in your tank.
Possibly a wise move though.
Rehome the DG and consider?

Well... Now you say that, the DG passed away yesterday, for reasons completely unknown. Water parameters are fine, he was eating well and swimming around as usual. Although he was a little pale so maybe some internal parasite infection? No signs of anything external and all the other fish are fine.

I know i was planning to re-home him at one point but its always sad to see one of the little guys go :(

I will monitor the others for a little while to make sure there isn't something wrong and then reconsider...

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Back
Top Bottom