Too much driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim532

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is 75 Gal. I have a few pieces of driftwood that were given too me from a friends tank, is there a limit such as inches per gallon etc. Can there be too much? Right now everything seems ok, I've tested the water and everything is in the norm.

Also when you buy driftwood new from the LFS , what do you need to do with it so it doesn't turn the water brown or cause any other problems.

I dont know if a too much limit exists for driftwood. The stuff from an LFS if made for an aquarium just needs rinsed to remove dust. You may have to soak it for a while to get it to sink. You can remove the tannins by boiling the piece of wood. Depending on the size this could take a lot of soaking and boiling. The tannins will not hurt your fish and will go away eventually. You can add AC to your filter to help remove the color. Just remember to change the carbon once a week.

I agree with Rich. There really isn't a limit as to how much driftwood to have in the tank. The more you add, the less swimming space that you will have though. Keep that in mind when stocking.

Back
Top Bottom