Too much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaiboxer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This may be a dumb question, but is there such a thing as too much filtration?

I'm currently running a 55 gallon with a very heavy load of fish because I'm moving them all to a 125 gallon next week.

I've been running a Magnum 350 on the tank for about 6 months, ever since my Fluval 303 blew up. Yesterday, I put my new Emperor 400 on the back of the 55 gallon to get some bacteria growing before moving it to the new tank - both filters and all the gravel and water from the 55 will be transferred to the 125.

Those two filters on the 55 is a lot of filtration/current. Are there any possible negatives to this?

The tank is all south american cichlids, they should be able to handle the current pretty well.

TIA for any advice!

I run a Penguin 330, supposively rated for up to 70 gallons, on a 20 gallon goldfish tank. Its not quite an exact comparious, but I've never noticed any issues, and its needed to keep up with those guys bioload.

If you're blowing the fish across the tank and knocking them out that's probably a bad thing :p My beta hates current so as long as he has quiet places to chill he's fine.

Yep, it all depends on the fish. If you fish look OK and not stressed, just got with it...

I run a hob thats rated for 40gal tanks on the back of my 10gal male betta tank.

I also run a 50gal rated filter on my 29gal.

I run 3 hob filters on my 29 gal goldie tank. Total filtration supposed to be like 70 gallons. By having the 3 sperate filters the output stream is split up and i change one filter every 2 weeks so the other 2 have good bacteria colonies til the changed one catches up.

Back
Top Bottom