Too much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristian Tombs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 40 litre (10gallon) aquarium and I'm getting a 600lph filter. That's 15 times the volume of my tank. Will it be too much filtration for the tank?

Hi I don't think there's any such thing as over filtration ;) just as long as the fish can cope with the current :)

5 neon tetras
5 swift rasbora
3 corydoras Julii
I think they will be fine :)

No, it's not too much.. it's just right in my opinion.

Is your tank already stocked? How do your fish get along? Does it seem crowded? I'm asking because your stock is very similar to what I want to add to my 10 gallon tank, and I was actually going to start a thread asking about it.

I've never tried to put two separate schools in a 10 gallon before, so I'm not sure if it will work. Right now I have 5 harlequin rasboras and 1 oto. I was thinking about adding a school of Celestial Pearl Danios, and a group of cories, possibly false juliis (trilineatus).

No, it's not too much.. it's just right in my opinion. Is your tank already stocked? How do your fish get along? Does it seem crowded? I'm asking because your stock is very similar to what I want to add to my 10 gallon tank, and I was actually going to start a thread asking about it. I've never tried to put two separate schools in a 10 gallon before, so I'm not sure if it will work. Right now I have 5 harlequin rasboras and 1 oto. I was thinking about adding a school of Celestial Pearl Danios, and a group of cories, possibly false juliis (trilineatus).

Dude there are a lot of people on this site that are quite religious with stocking and I respect that but I've had this tank set up with my stock for 3 months. It's heavily planted and the corys stick to the bottom the cardinals to the bottom/mid and the rasboras to the mid/top everyone is well fed and happy no problems. And the plants are rocking and rolling. Everything's great. I'm now looking into upping the lighting.

I ALSO GET NO ALGAE!!! :D

Thanks!

In the past, with 10 gallon tanks I would just stick to one type of schooling fish just to be safe, and to add as many to the school as possible.

This time I would like a bit more color in the tank, so I appreciate your input.

I think I'll have to change my substrate before adding cories since my gravel might be too rough for them. What is your substrate?

Thanks! In the past, with 10 gallon tanks I would just stick to one type of schooling fish just to be safe, and to add as many to the school as possible. This time I would like a bit more color in the tank, so I appreciate your input. I think I'll have to change my substrate before adding cories since my gravel might be too rough for them. What is your substrate?

Jbl aquabasis plus
Topped with
Jbl manado

Their both British plant substrates.
Very light
good for corys.

u should get a shoal of neons and a shoal of cpd's

3 schools? (I already have 5 harlequin rasboras) ..and skip the cories? I hadn't initially planned on getting cories, but I really like them. I can't decide. I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of changing the substrate. :ermm:

I was also thinking about skipping the cories and just adding 10 or 12 CPDs.

3 schools? (I already have 5 harlequin rasboras) ..and skip the cories? I hadn't initially planned on getting cories, but I really like them. I can't decide. I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of changing the substrate. :ermm: I was also thinking about skipping the cories and just adding 10 or 12 CPDs.

6 neons
6 cpd's
3 julii corys
2 Otos

Back
Top Bottom