Too much flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maillis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Rena Filstar xP3 on my 55 gallon and I'm a little concerned that the current created by the spray bar is a little too much. Anyone else with this canister filter had any issues with the current? It comes with a little flow regulator knob but turning down the flow that way seems to make it a little louder.

My danios actually seem to like swimming against the current at the moment but I'm concerned that my fish won't be able to rest well at night due to the current. Should I be concerned? I have one female neon (only survivor after about 8 months) she seems to be ok but it takes her a good bit of effort to swim through the current to the other side of the tank so she spends most of her time in the back corner (Must be less flow there).

Do you have decor, rocks, or wood for the fish to hide behind at night? The danios probably like the strong current.

I do have two pretty nice sized pieces of driftwood that sit vertically at both ends of the tank one is kind of like a branch and the other looks kind of like a tree trunk but I'm not sure how much they are helping to break up the current. The spray bar is about an inch or two below the surface and angled about 30-40 degrees towards the surface to create some surface agitation. The water seems to corkscrew from one end of the tank to the other.

Back
Top Bottom