Too much in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadSoyBeans

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 5.5 gallon tank that is just about done with a fishless cycle and i was planning what fish to add. Would all of these be okay and not cause too much problems?
Im looking to add
3 peppered corydoras
3 male guppies (they are the smaller ones, like 1.5 in.)
And 1 mystery snail

Three guppies is fine for that tank.

If you want cats you could add a couple or even 3 emerald cats.

They are a larger cat. I have no problem keeping a few of them in my breeder tank.

Though they are not one of my fish that I try to breed they just do it in my out side pool.

just add an airstone to your tank and you will be fine.

No no no, cory cats (with the exception of pygmys) need a min of 20 gallon at least (hopefully 30) as they are social creatures and need schools.
http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/935/peppered-cory-cat?pcatid=935&c=1161+935

Air stones do jack except agate a tank, in order to add more oxygen supply. There's a difference between keeping a animal you want and being able to properly care for it

My green corys only swim in a true school as babys.

My adults are all over the place. Very seldom do I see more than 3 adults together. I catch mine in the wild.

The only time you see a large number together is when the are swimming in a stream trying to reach a pond.

In a pond if you make a scoop you will only come up with one or two. The pandas you always see them schooling.

I use 3 gal plastic fish tanks with a double sponge filter for breeding my fancy guppies that I select.

1 male 3 female I green cat. The guppies may change but the cat stays in.

I have cats in the tank that are 3 yrs old no problem with them.

No problem you can see. Stunting happens internally and slowly. The fish naturally release chemicals into the water to determine how much room they have to grows. When they realize they don't have room to grow anymore they start to produce a hormone that slows down the growth of their skeleton and outer body. Thing is, they can't stop there inner organs so fish eventually they suffocate from there organs expanding in there body. Such as having a 1in fish with organs of a three inch. Not to mention possible skeletal disformaties and the constant stress the fish will be under

. http://www.allabout-aquariumfish.com/2010/05/stunted-fish-condition.html?m=1

Also there's a difference between shoaling and schooling. Cory acts way different when presented with a large group vs. small. They are much more confident and outgoing

If you do regular water changes you don't get a hormone problem.

aeration brings any dead water and gasses to the top. that's the main reason for aeration is gas exchange.

I don't run a single tank or pool with out air. That includes the turtle pool.

I catch wild fish to add to my breeding stock. I actualy observe the fish in the wild.

I have every thing from morish idols to octopus. Endlers to Oscars. We have wild Oscars.

Back
Top Bottom