Too much lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi everyone!

I've just gone from a 10 gallon to a 30g high and the lighting doesn't seem near as bright as what was on my 10. I'm using a single 15w flo.

First, when I read about 1 watt per gallon is that incandescent lighting or fluorescent lighting? The same watts in a flo are a lot brighter than in an incandescent.

Secondly, can you have too much lighting? Only fish and no live plants in my tank. I'd like to add the two 10w compact flos I had on my 10 to my 30 but that would put it way over the 1 watt per gallon, by how much depends on how you answer my first question. :)

Thanks for any help!!

Welcome to AA!!

The extra lighting will not hurt the fish. I assume you have decorations etc. for the to go under if they feel nervous. You can add the extra light but you want to limit the lighting time to under 8 hours, maybe less. I would suggest no more than 5 hours a day. Without any plants that much light will encourage algae.

Thanks! Nice group of people you've got here!

That would be ideal then. Really the only time I want the light on is after work until I go to bed anyway. Thanks for the help! Now off to "modify" the current tank lid. :)

Back
Top Bottom