Too much rock?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, this is probably a stupid question but is there such a thing as having too much rock in your tank? I got everything I need for an African cichlid tank and even hauled 120+ pounds of rock out of a ravine and my parents are worried that all the extra weight will crack the bottom of the tank and spill water all over the floor. Just how much rock do these guys need, does it need to go to the top of the tank so they'll swim up there, and will it crack the glass?

It is sixty gallons and the base measures 12 3/4 Inches by 48inches.

If you have had experience with rock please help as soon as possible because I am really anxious to get this tank set up and don't want water all over the floor!

Many people use egg crate light diffuser panels from Lowes or Home Depot
like this:

Redirect Notice

to help distribute the weight and keep the rocks from direct contact with the glass. Yes the rocks are a bit heavier then the water they are displacing, but not by all that much.

So long as the bottom of the tank sits on a flat and level stand, you should have no issues. I have tanks with several hundred pounds of rocks in them. I usually stack to the top, and then the fish will be found throughout the tank. If you don't, they tend to remain near the rocks.

Wy Renegade said:
So long as the bottom of the tank sits on a flat and level stand, you should have no issues. I have tanks with several hundred pounds of rocks in them. I usually stack to the top, and then the fish will be found throughout the tank. If you don't, they tend to remain near the rocks.

Do you use the egg crates?

Back
Top Bottom