too much to ask?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all! It has been a month since I was able to get my tank replaced under its warrenty and unfortunatly I've been so overloaded with work/school/trying to have a life (btw, my halloween was spent editing video for class! :evil: ) that I haven't even set it back up! I've managed to keep my 10 gallon and 5 gallon tank going but it is depressing to go home and see my empty 55 gallon tank. So, getting to the point, is there any low maintanace (preferrably inexpensive) tank setup that is still interesting? And by low maintanace I don't mean I'm not willing to put forth effort, but around once a week cleaning would be nice (before I was cleaning between 2 and 3 times a week). I'm not really interested in schooling fish. My pH is naturally 7.0 but drops fairly easily when I have driftwood in the tank. I don't want to mess with raising the pH for Africans (and yes, I remember a steady pH is better than trying to achieve a perfect pH :) ). Since I'm graduating in May I need to be financially conservative. I have decent lighting over my tank, 2wpg. A great filter, heater, etc... Any ideas? I just need to add water and eventually fish. Oh, I don't have any substrate right now. Threw that out with the old 55 gallon tank.

Thanks!!!

Oh, and happy (late) halloween!!

As far as africans go. Using the same water you have I got the ph at a steady 7.9 with an aragonite substrate and some lace rock. My lace rock is now live rock otherwise I would give it to you but africans are not really difficult and can be interesting. Mine weren't, they just hid all day. I don't really have any suggestions though.

I have a cichlid tank, as for the substrate, pool filter sand is very cheap and great for African cichlids. You can choose from mbuna, peacocks or haps for the tank. My peacocks are animated and very interesting to watch.

thanks for the quick replies (scott, it is so good to hear you still exist... it's sad that we go to the same school and never see eachother!).

I suppose I don't want to raise my pH because african cichlids aren't really my thing. I know I'm picky :oops: Sorry!!

To make a tank low-maintance like you say is really easy. Just go a bit understocked. 8) Maybe choose some hearty fish from the suggestion lists you find on the net like : elmer's tank suggestions

Stock the fish according to the demensions of a 30 gallon tank and you'll have a tank of colorful active fish who need infrequent care (every week or every other week.)

Just my 2 cents. :pepsi: :popcorn:

Here's an idea for you Nicole. Being that you'll be moving the tank soon, go with a bare bottom. You can buy a few ceramic pots and use some low light plants. :wink:

Hey BrianNY, I actually thought about doing that, but taking the decorating a step further inbetween barebottom and fully covered. Here is an example of what I'm thinking about:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslmqen/goldfish/tank01.jpg

I thought with some adjustments it could look pretty cool. I also thought it would give more places for beneficial bacteria to grow. The only thing would be making sure the plants were able to get enough nutrition... Anyone have success in potty training their fish? :D

plants make exellent bio-filtration.. I wouldnt worry about beneficial bacteria so much if your planning on going with alot of plants.. You can use water flow to keep debis from setting on the bottom glass so that it gets up into your filter floss.. :p looks like a great idea to me.. :D

thanks, greenmaji! Now to settle on some fish (and I have to continuously tell myself I don't have time to properly set up and keep a breeding tank for my german blue rams... *sigh*)

hmmm... you don't want schooling fish... but maybe a tank of loaches would interest you? I love loaches! My best advice is to go walk around your local fish stores and see what's available.. then you can research the fish you find interesting and see what you can put together.

I very much like the barebottom planted tank idea. Mattrox and hashbaz have done this if I remember correctly. I think loaches in a barebottom tank is unwise. How about some fish that will appreciate the cover, like cherry barbs and/or rainbows? (Interact and appreciate the company, but I would not call them schooling fish.)

I used to have much the same set up in many of my discus tanks. The advantage is it makes keeping the bottom clean a snap. Loaches need hiding places so I don't think they're the best canditates either. How about a pair of giant gouramis?

I think that would be very nice. I really miss my breeding pair of angels that I had given away to my friend who was supposed to keep my fish until my tank was replaced. Unfortunatly, he decided he wanted a second reef tank before I could get my new 55 gallon and gave away all my wonderful (and favorite) fish. *sigh* I just hope they went to good homes. I did manage to get back my plants so my 5 and 10 gallon and nicely planted.

Back
Top Bottom