too much wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@rtemis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Did I go too big with malaysian drift wood in my 10 Gallon? I may put in a vice grip an rip some off and make it smaller. I don't want any saw cuts. It's been soaking in water for about two weeks. Will it be easy to tear or rip parts off? I like the cave. Here's the picture:

picture.php

I personally think that's a really good size. Just needs more plants around it.

Thanks Joy, I definitely want to add more plants around it and in the foreground. Got to wait until this stock market recovers a bit. Wifey says my daughter and I are spending too much money. We've spnt my daughters Christmas money plus more...oops. So, we'll have to wait until my next couple of paychecks. Oh, wait! I forgot...my dear Mom gave me some birthday money! :D

It's all about personal preference, right? What do you and your daughter think? We'll each have our opinions about what looks right, but in the end it's you that gets to enjoy the tank each day, and if you like it like this, that's what matters.

Now that I've said that, I'll interject my opinion. lol Personally I think it's too big, but I wouldn't want to risk destroying it's character or that little cave, as I don't suspect it'll come apart easily. It's a very cool piece as it is.

instead what I would do is save up a little bit and get a larger tank, I think that piece would look amazing in a 20 gallon. haha!

Neilan, I see you already want to spend our money ha, ha. But, lo and behold, I have already planned for the future. The cabinet I bought can hold up to a 29 gallon tank. Plus the cabinet goes with our furniture and my wife approved the purchase. I also told her she can use some of the storage for her things. (@rt rubs his hands together as he schemes). Bwahaha. :devilish:

I agree with Neilanh that ultimately it is your tank and you have to decide whether you like how it looks when you see it everyday. That being said though, i do like the way it looks, i don't think it's too much, and it's a gorgeous piece of wood. If you're planning on upgrading to a larger tank one day, I'd probably leave it alone because it certainly wouldn't be too large in a 29 gallon tank, and then you don't risk destroying the integrity and look of the piece. If it were me, that's what i'd do anyway :) just my $0.02 FWIW :)

I agree that you should do what you prefer. But, that being said, I think it's a great size and definitely not too big!

Thanks for all your comments. I think I've decided to keep the drift wood as is. The fish have a place to hide, it looks cool, and I can always use it in my next LARGER tank. I'd like to remove the "no fishing" ornament but after all, it's mostly my daughter's tank and she bought it with her Chritmas money. She likes the idea that the tank looks like a river bottom so maybe I can explain that the ornament takes away from the natural look. Or I can plant some foreground plants and let them overtake the ornament. :rolleyes: hmmm

Oh, I forgot to say I like the driftwood.

And that ornament could be "taken over" by some magical Java Moss that was delivered by the Easter Bunny. Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom