Too overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been hitting my head on the wall (okay, not literally) trying to find a good stocking of fish for a 10 gallon. It's hard, because there's not much space and there's fishes that I want. I went on Aqadvisor, and here's what I got:

"Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 93%.
Recommended water change schedule: 39% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 119%."

Would you consider this too much? I don't mind the 39% per week thing, I actually enjoy doing Pwc (its weird lol).
What do you think?

I've been hitting my head on the wall (okay, not literally) trying to find a good stocking of fish for a 10 gallon. It's hard, because there's not much space and there's fishes that I want. I went on Aqadvisor, and here's what I got:

"Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 93%.
Recommended water change schedule: 39% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 119%."

Would you consider this too much? I don't mind the 39% per week thing, I actually enjoy doing Pwc (its weird lol).
What do you think?

119% on AQadvisor is perfectly fine. Try to use it as a guideline rather than a direct ruling on all things fish related as far as stocking levels are concerned. I would like to add though, that keeping the stocking level below 150% is a very good idea as tank upkeep can get difficult at that point.

What are you planning for a stock on your tank? I personally find 10s to be one of the more difficult tanks to stock :(

119% on AQadvisor is perfectly fine. Try to use it as a guideline rather than a direct ruling on all things fish related as far as stocking levels are concerned. I would like to add though, that keeping the stocking level below 150% is a very good idea as tank upkeep can get difficult at that point.

What are you planning for a stock on your tank? I personally find 10s to be one of the more difficult tanks to stock :(

Panda cories (3), neons (4), and 2 female platys (though I'm not sure yet).. I like the variation of color on the tank, and they sell all 3 at my local petco. Also, it may just be less than 119% because the tank dimensions of my tank are slightly bigger than what was input. I'm fine with it if its slightly overstocked, but I really don't want it super overstocked, which is why I asked.
I soo badly want to get a 20g, but we just bought the 10 gallon a month ago..maybe less. ):

I would look at adding another panda cory and neon tetra. As for platys I would go with 1 male and 2 females. Going with those numbers it should finish out the stocking in your tank.

I plugged those numbers into Aqadvisor and got a different percentage than you. With those 3 added fish it gave me a 112% stocking level which would be just fine.

As for the 20g... There's always next month but be careful, that 20g might easily turn into a 55g :D

I would look at adding another panda cory and neon tetra. As for platys I would go with 1 male and 2 females. Going with those numbers it should finish out the stocking in your tank.

I plugged those numbers into Aqadvisor and got a different percentage than you. With those 3 added fish it gave me a 112% stocking level which would be just fine.

As for the 20g... There's always next month but be careful, that 20g might easily turn into a 55g :D

SOO true about the 20g into a 55g! I'm already thinking of bigger things (which I shouldn't, haha). My true dimensions are 22.8x13.9x12.7, so I might as well! :D

SOO true about the 20g into a 55g! I'm already thinking of bigger things (which I shouldn't, haha). My true dimensions are 22.8x13.9x12.7, so I might as well! :D

I bought a 20 gallon two months ago. Within a week of that I bought a 55 gallon. Just finished the fishless cycle on it and moved my fish in it today. Afterwards I was looking at it after I finished and started coming up with a plan for a bigger tank. It definately is an addictive hobby.

I upgraded my 29g planted to a 55g 3 months after I set it up. Should have just skipped the 29 and went straight for the 55 :)

I was kicking myself for the same thing but figured I'd use my 20 as a medical tank. When I get the bigger tank I'll keep the 55 for feeders. The key is to find any reason you can to trick your brain into thinking these are all necessary expenses.

I was kicking myself for the same thing but figured I'd use my 20 as a medical tank. When I get the bigger tank I'll keep the 55 for feeders. The key is to find any reason you can to trick your brain into thinking these are all necessary expenses.

I thought about that until I realized that everything I want for my tanks is going to cost me $1200

I thought about that until I realized that everything I want for my tanks is going to cost me $1200

Yeah the cost is the big downside. I'm close to that with my 55 but most of it was indecisiveness for me. While the tank was cycling i bought 3 filters on top of the one the tank came with. By the end of the cycle i had three filters hanging on the tank and one cannister. I took all but the cannister off and now i have a pile of new filters in the garage. Guess I'll the hafta get another tank...

I bought a 20 gallon two months ago. Within a week of that I bought a 55 gallon. Just finished the fishless cycle on it and moved my fish in it today. Afterwards I was looking at it after I finished and started coming up with a plan for a bigger tank. It definately is an addictive hobby.

Oh my! I wish I can just switch sizes right then and there. Except for the fact that my parents don't like the fact of a 55g sitting around (they're not into it)..
That's EXACTLY what the petco employee said when my dad asked about it. He was like "you're gonna want bigger tanks and fancier fishes as you go along, etc etc.", and I just stood there smiling because I knew it was already getting to me! Lol, when I get my own place, you can bet ill be getting a 75..

Oh my! I wish I can just switch sizes right then and there. Except for the fact that my parents don't like the fact of a 55g sitting around (they're not into it)..
That's EXACTLY what the petco employee said when my dad asked about it. He was like "you're gonna want bigger tanks and fancier fishes as you go along, etc etc.", and I just stood there smiling because I knew it was already getting to me! Lol, when I get my own place, you can bet ill be getting a 75..

After my 40 reef is running my next tank upgrade will be into a 150 reef in 3 years or so.

Take a look at a black ghost knife fish. The one fresh fish I want more than any other :)

Take a look at a black ghost knife fish. The one fresh fish I want more than any other :)

Omg I want one! Haha they looked like upside down fishes to me. I loooove the color black, you should've seen my face when I first saw black moors! Again, requires alot of space. *sigh*

Omg I want one! Haha they looked like upside down fishes to me. I loooove the color black, you should've seen my face when I first saw black moors! Again, requires alot of space. *sigh*

Yup. the tangs for the reef I want require a 6ft long tank. All the fish I really like require massive or special tanks :(

Yup. the tangs for the reef I want require a 6ft long tank. All the fish I really like require massive or special tanks :(

I wonder how people get that much space. I have an upstairs and downstairs home, and there's still no space to put bigger tanks. My mom likes to furnish alot, so there's a reason. Haha.
At petco, they were selling this HUUUUGE goldfish (it's like an adult koi but a few inches shorter) and they were putting it for "adoption" for $10. It was massive and super cute..I wanted it but there's no way I can fit it ):

It looked like this: http://blogs.abc.net.au/.a/6a00e0097e4e68883301157112599a970c-popup

EDIT: now that I think about it, I'm pretty sad I couldn't get it. I just hope a good owner will come around and get it.

I wonder how people get that much space. I have an upstairs and downstairs home, and there's still no space to put bigger tanks. My mom likes to furnish alot, so there's a reason. Haha.
At petco, they were selling this HUUUUGE goldfish (it's like an adult koi but a few inches shorter) and they were putting it for "adoption" for $10. It was massive and super cute..I wanted it but there's no way I can fit it ):

It looked like this: Stephen Beatty with one big goldfish!

They just don't have furniture :) Yeah, some of those goldfish get massive. I never realized just how big koi can get until I went to my lfs and saw a ton of them in a koi river they have running through the store

They just don't have furniture :) Yeah, some of those goldfish get massive. I never realized just how big koi can get until I went to my lfs and saw a ton of them in a koi river they have running through the store

Really? I always thought koi were huge, I never even thought koi can be small. It's because whenever me and my family go to the mall, they have these huuuuge koi rivers with lots of adult koi swimming in them. You could sit on the walls of the koi river and just watch :)

Back
Top Bottom