Top dwellers list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bala Sharks are really entertaining if you have the room. (They grow big fast!) I have a few and they never stop moving chasing each other around all over the tank all day. And then I have a huge angel that just slowly floats around them to even everything out.

I think adding 1 gourami is fine. Im pretty sure a group will fight, unless inks 1 male and the rest females. Only problem is most gouramis at the store are male because they have the colors. If you added 1 and then a school of Cory cats it would look nicd

I have multiple gouramis & no issues. Dwarf gouramis are great but tend to stay mid level or lower. If you're looking for upper level then the Honey Gouramies are better & smaller. These both prefer planted tanks but the honeys really like floating plants & will pick a small territory. The only "fights" I get is when 1 honey decides he wants to visit one of the others' territory. Then it's a quick chase & everything's forgotten until next time. I also have mostly males in my tank.

I am interested in yo yo loaches. I can't seem
To find any at a LFS. I also would like some cories. Would a school of neon Tetras be viable in this tank?

To find any at a LFS. I also would like some cories. Would a school of neon Tetras be viable in this tank?

yo yo loaches are great additions to the tank. they're not as shy as clown loaches. corys are also good for lower level tank movement as well as cleaning up leftover food.

Butterfly fish have real long fins so no fin nippers. They're also carnivores so they'll eat fish small enough

Neons would be great in a good size school. Mine tend to stay mid level not at the top tho. You could also look into Green Fire Tetras (they do ok in smaller schools & stay at the top). Or Blood Fin Tetra. I really like them & good in smaller schools & stay at top

Blood Fin in my tank

image-1180864058.jpg

K3vin said:
Butterfly fish have real long fins so no fin nippers. They're also carnivores so they'll eat fish small enough

I don't think any fish I have a fin nippers. Butterfly
Fish are very cool. Do they need a school or are they solitary?

Try-na said:
Neons would be great in a good size school. Mine tend to stay mid level not at the top tho. You could also look into Green Fire Tetras (they do ok in smaller schools & stay at the top). Or Blood Fin Tetra. I really like them & good in smaller schools & stay at top

Blood Fin in my tank

I like the way those blood fins look. Those would be cool. I want some small fish so I can have a lot of fish and a lot of activity. Something that'll compliment my centerpiece fish.

As for the African butterfly fish... That thing is amazing but I don't think it's right for my current stocking. I think he'd be bothered by his tank mates.

I don't think any fish I have a fin nippers. Butterfly
Fish are very cool. Do they need a school or are they solitary?

they can be with other butterflies, but smaller fishes will be treated like snack. remember this: butterflies can eat crickets in the while. so use your best judgement when it comes to compatibility

I'll have to pass on one for now. I have an open top tank. He could jump out and id be out a 20 dollar fish.

Maybe I could add a few more rainbows. Maybe threadfins as suggested?

Blood Fin in my tank

Oh, very pretty!

I like the way those blood fins look. Those would be cool. I want some small fish so I can have a lot of fish and a lot of activity. Something that'll compliment my centerpiece fish.

They're only about 2" - 2 1/2" long & pretty thin. Also quite mellow. I have 4 of them just for a bit of color at the top. I originally tried rummy nose but I couldn't get them to stay alive for very long (no idea why) & found the Bloodfins a little more hardy. Just in my experience that is. I also have Harlequin Rasboras & Copperhead Rasboras for the top of the tank too. They're great fish too

I'll have to pass on one for now. I have an open top tank. He could jump out and id be out a 20 dollar fish.

good idea, i didn't know if you wanted more rainbow, but i've always like the idea of having both boesmane and thread fins together.

Or maybe a couple of Celebes Rainbows? I think they're awesome top dwellers & are a lot smaller than Boesemani Rainbows. This is one of mine but keep in mind he looks way better in person. And they have very bright eyes, also very flashy fins that they "flair" when showing off

image-1584233065.jpg

That's a rainbow fish? It looks different than the ones I'm used to seeing. It looks kinda tetra-y. Looks nice though. What'd that guy cost you?

That's a rainbow fish? It looks different than the ones I'm used to seeing. It looks kinda tetra-y. Looks nice though. What'd that guy cost you?

I think around $5 or so. Can't remember & most of our stores do 2 for 1 so it's hard to keep track. They are most definitely a Rainbow.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/marosatherina-ladigesi/

If you like these guys you'll love the Pseudomugil signifer or the Pseudomugil furcatus or Forktail Blue-eye. Hard to come by around here but great flashy little guys. I've had the signifer before.

http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Signifer.htm

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pseudomugil-furcatus/

Back
Top Bottom