Top fin 29 gallon aquarium hood combo no good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am really thinking about putting a 20 gallon in my room ( it's going in my desk) it says it is 18 inches tall, how tall would it get with the hood combo this has, if it's too tall, it won't fit
It also says on the reviews that it leaks, is this true, is this a bad option, thanks:)

Sorry not the hood combo, the starter kit with everithing is it good, how tall can it get?

Standard lighting and hoods will increase the hight of a tank by about 3" or so. What are you talking about here? A 29g or a 20g?

Well, I figured that like the 20 gallon long costs the exact same as the 29 gallon, might as well get the 29 gallon

And the starter kits are usually overpriced and under equipped. It would be much better if you do it piece by piece and get everything you want in a tank instead of having to upgrade and waste money. I've done both and usually everything besides the tank gets sold on Craigslist after a few months. With petco's $1/g sale it's easy to get your ideal setup instead of a mass produced box

The hood I had on my old 20 gallon was just over an inch high but the light took an additional 1.5'' or 2''.

I have the same brand except in a 39 gallon. If you want to be able to open the lid all the way, you will need a little under 5 inches above the tank. I just measured mine.

Attachments

• image-3119900130.jpg
    image-3119900130.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 126
And the starter kits are usually overpriced and under equipped. It would be much better if you do it piece by piece and get everything you want in a tank instead of having to upgrade and waste money. I've done both and usually everything besides the tank gets sold on Craigslist after a few months. With petco's $1/g sale it's easy to get your ideal setup instead of a mass produced box

Actually, it's chraper to buy the combo

Ok, I think I found the solution, I'll leave the tank out of the part that overhangs in my desk, it will be about 8 inches, and it will be about about 9 inches from the edge
Next question, will peppered corys and normal Cory's stick together, if so how many can I put in a 29 gallon?

Yea, I'm pretty sure it is, I have a 50 gallon aquarium too, half the length, same height, same width
But I'm thinking about it still, it will be pretty hard to get to the filter on the back, would you advice me to stay with the 20 long?

You are probably well aware, but you may also want to consider the weight difference from a 20 to 29 gallon. You will want to make sure your desk can support apx 300 lbs of weight, or you could have a big wet mess on your hands. Also, even though the 29 is essentially 9 extra gallons of water, the footprint of the tank is the same, meaning the stocking difference between a 20 and a 29 wont be much. Just my 2 cents
PS.....sorry to hear about your black moor recently :(

You are probably well aware, but you may also want to consider the weight difference from a 20 to 29 gallon. You will want to make sure your desk can support apx 300 lbs of weight, or you could have a big wet mess on your hands. Also, even though the 29 is essentially 9 extra gallons of water, the footprint of the tank is the same, meaning the stocking difference between a 20 and a 29 wont be much. Just my 2 cents
PS.....sorry to hear about your black moor recently :(

Thanks, I really miss my black moor:(

I have that aquarium, mine has been really good. Any aquarium can have problems. I have had 1/3 of my aquariums leak. They are usually to get the combos if they are also on sale. Top Fin has good warranties and have never had a problem. I have a 40 breeder, 10, and 29..all the combos that they offer. The filters actually are decent too, some people hate them. But you can always change those anyway.

Back
Top Bottom