Top for a 25-gal hex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LandGhoti

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It looks like some of the crap (and that is the correct word) I bought today off craigslist is unusable. The stuff holding the two parts of the glass top together is dried out and has split, so it's basically two pieces instead of one. Looks like these people disassembled the tank, threw the equipment in a trash bag, and then let it sit out in a hot garage for awhile. No wonder the guy threw everything in my car as fast as he could and high-tailed it out of there. No chance to look anything over.

The tank and stand are in great shape, but does anyone know where I can find a top for this thing?? I've looked on Foster/Smith and Big Al's and they don't have them.

This will teach me to not buy anything else weirdo-shaped...:roll:

Your best bet...give someone the measurements of the top (or a tracing) and have someone make a wood frame and insert plexiglass w/ a hinge. Have the wood varnished to keep it protected. If it's a wood stand , have it stained the same color. It would prob look good.

Me and my girlfriend learned that lesson as well. I bought her a 15 gal hex as a present and it didn't come with a lid. It was a sweet deal still, came with a stand. She has a diy lid made out of a plastic sign, hey it keeps the moisture in.

I would recomend making a diy plexiglass lid and then put a light on top. We plan on getting around to doing that for her tank now that im done school til september.

If I had a lid made it would negate the "great deal" I got. Time is really a factor here, so I will most likely write the experience off as getting screwed and just do what I planned to do before: buy a 20-gal long and put it on one of my bookshelves as temp housing for the fish. Guess I will keep this one in storage until I have the time and patience to have a lid made...what a bummer.

I just checked craigslist to see if the guy took down his ad, and sure enough, already gone. I emailed him from work so I feel like going in tomorrow and replying "thanks for nothing." But craigslist is always a gamble, I know. At least I'm not out more than $65. I'm still bummed, though.

As for the time factor, I can't help you . But if you send me a tracing of the outside edge, I will make it for you. It will only cost whatever the materials cost...which cant be much. Some pine trim, a piece of plexiglass and a couple hinges. I will even send it to you, and you can pay later. (Thats how cheap it should be)

I havent checked into yet, but the plexiglass needed to make a lid couldnt be more then 15$ canadian in my mind. Im geussing 12$ us. All ud have to do is cut the shape out with an exacto knife or saw. If u find a used light too it shudnt be too much. U cud always find an incadescent light and put compact fluorescent bulbs in, u can find some pretty cheap ones for aquarium use for that too. I honestly think all in all u cud do it with 30-40$. 95-105$ for a 25 gal, hex, with stand and lid/light is pretty descent if u ask me. brand new ud be looking at alot more.

usmcmarc said:
As for the time factor, I can't help you . But if you send me a tracing of the outside edge, I will make it for you. It will only cost whatever the materials cost...which cant be much. Some pine trim, a piece of plexiglass and a couple hinges. I will even send it to you, and you can pay later. (Thats how cheap it should be)

OMG, will you marry me??
Amour15.gif

I'll have to go back out and look at it--it's sitting in the garage now--because I think, like most aquariums, it has that inside lip that the glass top rests on(?). So would it sit flush on top then? Would there be a cut-out for filter placement?

OK, now I'm feeling better about getting screwed. The best revenge is living better. Hahaha. I'll PM the measurements to you tomorrow morning and maybe we can figure something out. THANKS even for offering!

Just get me the exact measurements..inside edge, past the lip so it's big enough to rest on. outside edge, etc...Everything you can measure. And what model filter you will be using.

Back
Top Bottom