Top plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skorpio94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all! This past few weeks I finally have my tank looking how I want it! But i would like some ideas for top floating plants? I really can't decide which ones would be good to get? My stock in the tank is a white tiger oscar a blue cobalt cichlid and a pleco! 20180428_175801.jpg

If you have it the way you want it but want something floating on top. Your Oscar probably won't like a lot of roots hanging. So I'd probably try the Salvina Natans floating fern. But if you want a little color of red and don't mind a little steams to the side of the tank id go with the red tiger lotus. But if you go with the lotus keep in mind its a bulb and needs lots of room for roots. And you'll have to keep it trimmed up a bit to keep the look you have. And to keep them in the area you want them.

Could always try duckweed. It'll grow fast, you'll have to trim it quite a bit.

Could always try duckweed. It'll grow fast, you'll have to trim it quite a bit.
Will see if fish store has any in today, thanks, also need it for water quality as I tested for ammonia and Its sitting slightly above 0 which I'm not happy with and my nitrates are up a bit too :/

Thought you couldn't keep plants with Oscars because of their incessant rooting...
I heard that too but my oscar seems to be fine he only ever digs in the gravel and leaves decor alone, which is good for me lol

If you have it the way you want it but want something floating on top. Your Oscar probably won't like a lot of roots hanging. So I'd probably try the Salvina Natans floating fern. But if you want a little color of red and don't mind a little steams to the side of the tank id go with the red tiger lotus. But if you go with the lotus keep in mind its a bulb and needs lots of room for roots. And you'll have to keep it trimmed up a bit to keep the look you have. And to keep them in the area you want them.
I heard they might eat floating plants as they always eat at the surface of the water but it's a trial and error thing really as I was also told plants and oscars don't mix but mine seems to be one of the well behaved ones lol would eventually like to make an aquaponics system above the tank as my nitrates are up in the tank so thought that would help a great deal

He looks young. Time will tell.
He is, he is about 5 or 6 inches at the moment, the oscar I had previous to this one used to cause havoc in the tank, I gave up in the end and just let him do what he wanted haha

Hornwort mostly floats and doesn't have roots. Plus it grows like crazy and will use up your nitrates. Every time you take some out, you will be removing nitrates. If it does start sinking, just clip off enough to make it float back to the surface. It should be ideal for your situation.

Hornwort mostly floats and doesn't have roots. Plus it grows like crazy and will use up your nitrates. Every time you take some out, you will be removing nitrates. If it does start sinking, just clip off enough to make it float back to the surface. It should be ideal for your situation.
That's great, thankyou. the fish shop didn't have any floating ones left, so will likely order some online today or tomorrow

That's great, thankyou. the fish shop didn't have any floating ones left, so will likely order some online today or tomorrow
Sometimes fish stores will tie it into a bundle so it sinks to the bottom and looks like a rooted plant. If you have a local aquarium club, check with them. Someone might give you some for free. It's a very common plant, and like I said, it grows like crazy. If you lived near me, I would gladly provide a free sample.

Back
Top Bottom