Topical Fish Market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chak1080

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just sitting here waiting to go to work, and on CNN they had a segment on the tropical fish market in Florida. They say the low temps have killed over 70% of the fish.

I was reading this the other day too:

Freeze Threatens Florida’s Tropical Fish - NYTimes.com

Predicting they will lose 50% of their stock and be able to get back to the same numbers in three months. They are saying a severe guppy shortage is already happening.. I say if there are two guppies left on Earth, a male and female, we will be just fine.

Yea I read about this as well. It must be pretty disappointing to see good breeding stocks disappear. My angel breeder lived in Florida and luckily his partner in Singapore. Hopefully the pinoy angels have survived the cold snap.

Ya, this sucks. I am hoping to get my foot in on the industry here soon and find a job at 1 of these farms. But if this keeps up then they won't be able to hire.

maybe this could work to our advantage though... if they get rid of alot of the weak stock and inbred fish, maybe we can start to see some better quality fish in our lfs?

Back
Top Bottom