traded my albino cories for oto cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

undercutter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
now I have 16 gallons planted tank with a betta, 6 oto cats, about 8 cherry shrimp and 2 assassin snails

it was impossible to feed my cories because betta would go for their sinking pallets until he was completely bloated so I would have to quarantine him in a net each time which was a pain, feeding at night didn't make any difference either

it seems to work out because I have significant algae growth for some reason, even though it's a low light 18 watt set-up with no fertilizer. still have brown algae diatoms after 6 months even though it doesn't seem to grow much anymore, and if I don't clean the glass for a month I get green growth on the glass which I have to scrape off with a metal scraper

it's been almost 2 weeks and otos keep eating algae and completely ignore an algae wafer if I drop it in so they must be getting enough food

I think I'm going to crush a piece of algae wafer in water once a week and put it in the tank just to give them something extra to suck on, as well as for shrimp and snails, since I'm not feeding bottom feeders directly they still need something to eat I assume?

oto cats
img_1560817_0_f79f9bdb14b3058847876d55bc008a77.jpg

my betta
img_1560817_1_5a35e16824e3eaa867d683d3cb363277.jpg

img_1560817_2_479fc40c49ea4d7ad24847df4f2c6068.jpg

the tank
img_1560817_3_46f2a3699230ab377d057df9ba3f7777.jpg

yes plants grow in gravel

pretty much all the low light plants, which is the only thing you can have with a low light set up 1-2 watts per gallon, have a rhizome, which is a main root that can not be buried or it will start to rot, however the little roots that go from it can be buried in the gravel which is what I did with 3 plants in front

the roots also attach themselves to substrate almost like glue after a while, so if you tie a rhizome to a rock or wood the roots should eventually grow around it and attach the plant to it, that's what I'm trying to do with a bolbitus plant on the left

took a little bit of research online to figure all this stuff out at first

the bolbitus has been there for about 3 weeks, it's not doing much growing but it's not dieing either so we'll see

Are there any plants that can be in brighter light? I like the tying it to the rock thing. Might have to try that.

Back
Top Bottom