Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

transfer from QT

I've just transfered 3 albino cory's from their 6 week stay in a 10 gal QT to a 55 gallon. The water params are exactly the same in both, i('ve not had a water quallity issue in either for over a year when the 55 was cycled) The residents of the 55 gallon are 3 tinfoil barbs, 1 rainbow shark and 7 buenos aires tetras - they've been there a year or so. Well to make a long story short one of the corys died the first day....the others are fine. He didn't like the move instantly and I'm perplexed. I didn't chase them around with the net - matter of fact I just reached in and scooped them right off the bat. so it was probably a shock but I can't figure why the one up and died within hours. any thoughts?

Pinky the betta in a 5 gal. Eclipse hex
7 gal. minibow quarantine / 2 panda cories
mortiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:27 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Well, it does seem like a very odd thing to have happened. Was there a bid difference in the water temperature? You say parameters were the same in both..is that ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

It could also have just been plain old stress. Some deal with it better than others.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

the temp. was about 1degree diff. on the warmer side, and yes the ph, ammonia, ites and ates were identical. thanks for answering - the other two are still just fine.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, I think it was the fish's reaction to being moved. One degree temperature difference should be fine.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Yes, I agree...it does sound like stress/change that was the reason the fish passed.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

If only he could have held up a little sign "I like it HERE" I wouldn't have moved him...sheesh we need a FishLingual, like the new BowLingual for dogs. that would solve all our problems.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie
When you acclimated the cories, did you turn off the lights? This eases the stress a bit. Also, how big are the corries, especially the one that died?
75 Gallon (EMPTY)
20 Gallon (EMPTY)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
When I move fish from one tank to another, usually treat it as if I just brought them home from the store. I get bags from the lfs (free) and put the qt fish in the bag with some water, float him in the new tank adding it's water every few minutes or so. Eventually release him. It's a lot more work, but I don't take very many chances with my fish either...
Old 04-08-2004, 02:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

The lights were on when I put them in, but it was late evening so they were turned off shortly after. I usually do turn the lights off when I put the fish in the QT but didn't this time. They are all the same size, pretty small about and inch, which makes them quite a bit smaller than all the others in there - the remaining two are largely ignored by the barbs, tetras and shark.

Tags
transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com