Transfering Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xabien

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I am trying to transfer all of my fish from my main tank into a new tank which has been cycled and set up for a few months now. The fish are 2 Mollies, 8 neon tetras, 4 black phantom tetras, 3 clown loaches and 2 dwarf gouramis. I transfered the mollies today but how long should I leave it to put the next ones in and what order should I put them in in?

Thanks.

If you are worried about the bioload in the new tank, you really don't need to. If you have an established tank, you already have a good source nitrifying bacteria. Just add some old filter media to the new filter, or add some gravel from the old tank to the new one. That should give your new tank a good start. HTH

I think they can all go in at the same time. I would seperate the different species into different cups and put a cup of the new tank's water in and two cups of the old tank's water. Let them sit for a minute and pour 'em in!

be wary!!!! b/4 you do, remember fish tanks everything needs to be done slowly
personally, fo me 2 a week but im overcautious especially not knowing filtration, tank size etc. get more recommendations

more thought , the bioload comes from the fish, biological set up, in other words, a tank will build to support the fish put in it, although you have a tank set up and cycled, how did you cycle it? some believe a new tank should be "feed".the bacteria need to feed on something, sooooo wath carefully how quickly you load the tank

If the tank is cycled properly, float the fish as if you just brought them home from the LFS. All should be fine :D

Back
Top Bottom