Transfering tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Before anyone says it, I know, I have a BAD case of MTS. I just can't be satisfied with what I have and can not be trusted in a fish store.

The past couple of days me and my fiance have been moving fish around in the tanks. I freed up the 5 gal hex and put the snails and molly from the hex into my 10 gal. I wanted to have a betta and ghost shrimp in the 5. So I buy a blue betta and went hunting for ghost shrimp. It's funny because everytime I go to the lfs they have tons of ghost shrimp. The time that I actually want them, noone has them. We went to every fish store around, even going to lengths to driving 2 1/2 hours away On our way home we decided to take a little detour to Paducah Kentucky to see if they had any fish stores to buy the ghost shrimp from. We come across PetsMart. Now remember, the sole reason for going was to buy ghost shrimp. As we are looking for the shrimp, we walk by the tanks (BIG MISTAKE). Of course he about falls to the floor. 150 gal tank for 25% off. We leave and on the way home he is on the phone trying to figure out how he is going to get the 150 gal home. So of course, we are now getting a 150 gal tank setup this week.

Now onto the question section. We have to take the 55 gal out of the house before we can fit the 150 in. It's a small loft apt and we can't have both of them setup at the same time. We plan to take all of the water from the 55 gal and put it into the 150 to help preserve some bacteria. We are also using all of the plants, decor, and filtration unit from the 55. I know this would be about the same as a HUGE water change, but will this be good enough to preserve most of the bacteria? Will our fish go through a mini-cycle? I don't want to harm the fish but it is just impossible to have both tanks set up at the same time. Any thoughts?

That sounds like it will work out fine. The most beneficial bacteria is in the substrate, filter material etc. Thats really the stuff you want to be sure and reuse. I did the same thing recently in a reef tank though a bit smaller scale, went from a 20 to a 55 w/20 gal. sump. I didn't see any ill effects, everything I moved seemed really happy. I also have MTS, 4 going on 5 tanks in the house, my wife says any more tanks and the lights will start dimming around town from all our power usage.

I'm not sure where St. Charles IL is Pat but between me and you, we will surely be dimming the lights. :D We were going to re-use the sand but we are selling the old 55 gal to my brother. We made the mistake of buying the sand from the lfs. It's great sand BUT expensive. So we are buying the new sand from Lowe's and it doesn't match the old stuff. Plus, my sister-in-law is very impatient. She's going to want to throw fish in right away. Any little bit of bacteria is going to help them.

Kind of a funny story about her. We went to PetsMart in STL around Christmas and she wanted to buy my nephew a tank (1 year old) and she started putting stuff into the cart and walked over to the fish and started looking and said, ok I think I'm going to get an Oscar and a Goldfish. It was too funny. She was wanting to put these fish into a 10 gal tank that night. She has no clue about cycling or dechlorinating water or any of that. Thankfully I will be around to help to help her.

Bummer, the water will help but from what I've heard most of the beneficial bacteria are found in your filters etc. You might see a small cycle happen, just keep up on water quality testing. An ounce of prevention...yeah yeah we've heard it all before.

Is this a new larger home for all those cichlids? I'm moving my cichlids from my 29 gallon to a 125 soon, I just have to commit a weekend to going and getting the tank (it's out of state but a free 125 acrylic tank...c'mon!). I'd like to hear how it goes. Good luck.

yeah move it all water, gravel, plants, filter media, etc into the big tank. you might go through a small cycle but nothing like a new tank. you might not even notice a cycle.

anyhow good luck!

The main reason why we decided to upgrade to a 150 gal is beacuse our fish are reaching maturity. They are growing quickly and I figured that they would probably want more room. Plus, he's been seeing a lot of other Lake Malawali Cichlid's that he wants and we just haven't had the room for. Now he will. We'd idealily like to get a female ice blue and try to breed. I personally don't like the ice blue because he's a bully, but he is a very beautiful fish (the pic under my name).

We've become very attached to our Cichlid's and I don't want to lose any of them due to a mini-cycle. The main purpose of the upgrade is to make them happier. Tonight was the first time I fed them frozen peas and they absolutely loved them. It's funny because I get all excited because of it.

I won't be moving the sand to the new tank that's for sure. It would be VERY hard to get all of that out. Besides, it's not really feasible to go back to the lfs and buy 100 lbs of sand that would match what we already have. At $4 for a 5 lb bag, that's another $80 for sand. I called Lowe's and it would be $15 for 150 lbs. I'm hoping that our filtration unit has enough built up bacteria in it so they don't have to go through a whole cycle. The last time we really cleaned the unit was about a month ago. During our weekly water changes we don't mess with it except for maybe once every two months we will rinse off the media.

:lol: "ice blue is a bully! I love cichlids but they are all bullies, as long as there is a fish smaller than them they'll pick on it. Hope all goes well.

That's the thing Pat. We bought all of our Cichlid's around the same time at the same size. Actually, the Ice Blue was the smallest. He is now the biggest in the tank and has always been a bully from Day 1. He just has an attitude problem. He even bullies the Auratus! Then again, the yellow lab bullies the Auratus. It hasn't caused problems yet (tail nipping) but I'm hoping that it will calm down a bit once they are in their new home. He's going this morning to pick it up! I can't wait! I'm out of town on business right now so by the time I get home, the 150 will be up and going. I never thought I'd get so excited over a fish tank! :D

If only my wife would set up a tank for me while I was away. Thats my dream. Can't wait to see pics.

I just got a call, the 150 is in place, loaded with sand, and the water has all been transfered except for the 5 gal bucket that the fish are currently in. I'm so excited that tomorrow I am going home to see it! Of course my boss doesn't know that I am leaving to see a fish tank. HAHA. It's a 2 hour drive, but well worth it!

Back
Top Bottom