Transitioning from a 15 gallon to a 36 gallon. Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittany_b415

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 15 gallon community tank with 6 guppies, about 90 fry (no joke), 2 Cory catfish and 2 African dwarf frogs. I just set up my new 36 gallon bow front. I have my aquarium set up in a little nook in my bedroom so space is very limited. What is the best way to speed cycle my 36 gallon ? It has a bio wheel 350 filter. My 15 gallon has an Aquaclear 30 and a corner filter (sort of like a sponge filter) that I've been cycling in that tank for my 5 gallon fry tank. I really don't have the room in my bedroom for my 15 gallon, 36 gallon and 5 gallon tank. Nor do I have anywhere else in the house to put it.

I was thinking of putting my filter media from my Aquaclear in with my biowheel filter or should I just run my Aquaclear 30, corner filter and biowheel all at the same time? Would it be safe to add my fish?

Any help would be great. I'm putting my plants and substrate in my 36 from my 15 also.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi. If you move your filters from your 15 into your 36, obviously using dechlorinated water in the 36, then the 36 should be able to cope with all the fish from your 15. The bio-load is the same.
I would move most of the water from the 15 into the 36 as well, not because of cycling (there is very little BB in the water, it's nearly all in the filter) but it helps reduce any water differences from your old to new tank and the fish will transfer easier. I know the 36 would have less than half old water but I believe it still helps the transition.
After a while, I would leave it 4 weeks, you should be able to start removing your old filters and your new bio-wheel should be cycled. Just keep a watch on the ammonia levels as the new filter will be cycled but will still need to increase the BB loading to cope on its own.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Awesome thanks! Very excited for a larger tank.

Hi. If you move your filters from your 15 into your 36, obviously using dechlorinated water in the 36, then the 36 should be able to cope with all the fish from your 15. The bio-load is the same.
I would move most of the water from the 15 into the 36 as well, not because of cycling (there is very little BB in the water, it's nearly all in the filter) but it helps reduce any water differences from your old to new tank and the fish will transfer easier. I know the 36 would have less than half old water but I believe it still helps the transition.
After a while, I would leave it 4 weeks, you should be able to start removing your old filters and your new bio-wheel should be cycled. Just keep a watch on the ammonia levels as the new filter will be cycled but will still need to increase the BB loading to cope on its own.

Ok so, I did everything that you said to do. Transferred everything over, plants, substrate, water, filter, you name it it was transferred. But... Today I was at Petsmart and seen a 36 gallon bow front which was A LOT tinier than the one I have at home. I measured it and I think it's a 46? I can't find a decent bow front calculator or the proper way to measure it. Is this gonna be okay? There's already ammonia from the large amount of tap water I put in (ammonia is 1ppm) straight out of the tap. I used prime of course.

You'll be fine, but as you're adding ammonia from the tap you will need to be on top of your testing and use Prime daily until ammonia and nitrites are zero. Water change a little and often if nitrites get above 20ppm, but this should take a little bit longer being a bigger tank.
In the end .... size does matter and the bigger the better and ultimately easier to maintain.

Ok I'm hoping I skip right by the nitrite phase. Tested today and ammonia was 0.25 but more yellow than green, 0 nitrites and 20ish nitrates. I have my old filter running with the new. It really needs a longer intake tube. But I'll add prime daily until I get a 0 reading. Is it true that prime may show as a false ammonia reading ? I use the API freshwater master kit. My fish are all super active but one of my corys are freaking out. Even my guppy fry are active and they're only a few days old. I do have one guppy that has fin rot who is in a 5g quarantine getting treated. If you have any suggestions for him that would be great (as in when he can be added to the 46g)! Thanks!!

Your welcome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update : no ammonia or nitrites today and between 10-20 ppm nitrate. Hopefully stays this way :)

Back
Top Bottom