Transporting of corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice, I'm planning on purchasing some panda corys online due to disasters with lical LFS. I am slightly concerned about the stress of transport and what will be the best method of acclimating the corys once they come.
Cheers :)

Typically the site that you are ordering from will have a link to acclimation procedures somewhere on the site.
I've had success with this method:
place bags in a large bowl
slowly add your tank water to the bag, a little bit every 10 minutes for about an hour
turn off tank lights
then I float the bags in my tank for about 15 minutes and continue to add a little water.
I never add the shipping water to my tanks, so I carefully net the fish out and place them in the tank
leave the tank lights off for the rest of the day.
I'm sure they're are many other successful ways to do this, and some recommend drip acclimation. I think their is a link to that method somewhere on this site. If not I'm sure someone will help you.
Good luck with your panda's, I absolutely love mine. :)

I would google drip acclimation. IMO/E it is the best way to acclimate your fish. I use airline tubing, a clothespin (to slow the flow to a drip every so often) and a 5g fish only bucket.

Thanks guys. Placed my order and hopefully my new babies will turn up in the next day or two

Quick update! The vendor didn't contact me to let me know they were coming so the nice postman has woken me up with a package under his arm at 8am (I finished work at 2) and when I said "oh they are my fish!" he look slightly bemused.
All occupants look ok, very skittish at the mo which I suppose is to be expected. I wanted to do a tank rearrange today so I guess that's off the cards, I'm letting them float for a good while as their bags felt super cold but they look lovely!!

Back
Top Bottom