Transporting snails on a 3+ hour drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pawtrekker

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I am going on a little day trip for my birthday this weekend and thought while I was out I'd check out some of the non local fish stores. If I manage to find somewhere that sells Nerite Snails I would really like to get some while I'm there. Problem is, it's a 3 - 4 hour drive back home and I was wondering what the best way to transport them would be?

I was thinking that I could get a small cooler and put my 2.77 gallon tank in there. Then, I could put the snails in the tank and not worry about water sloshing out in the car. (And it would keep the temperature more stable) Would this work? I can also get a small battery operated aerator if the snails require aeration. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

Snails are really easy to take with you. Just a bag of water and they will be fine as long as your car has air conditioning. Just keep them out of the sun. Some live plant trimmings would be a good addition so they have something to grab on to but for that short of a trip isn't really necessary

Okay, thanks! Does the same apply to shrimp or are they more sensitive? I don't know that I'll get any but some Amano shrimp would be a really cool addition to one of my task if I find them. But I haven't really decided on that yet. I know getting fish would probably be out of the question. Or is it? Just curious really. I don't PLAN on getting anything but snails but you know how it is when you go in a fish store. :lol:

haha yeah I know exactly how that is. Go in for some flake food and leave with a $300 hole in your pocket and another tanks worth of fish. :ROFLMAO:

Shrimp are fine to take along this way as well but I would definitely add some foliage to the bag for them.

Fish are also fine to take a long but I wouldn't put more than a few per bag.

Keep in mind fish commonly get shipped over a 24 hour period while snails and shrimp average a 2 day shipping time.

Back
Top Bottom