Trapdoor snails inactive...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aisforangelfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My aquarium is a 55g with an undergravel filter that includes three powerheads. I also have a submersible filter suctioned to the inside of my tank. My tank has been set up for many years and has been the happy home of six angelfish varying in size, as well as four diamond tetras, four sunset platys, a mollie, and a few danios and black neons. All of my fish are fat and healthy. I change a quarter to half of the water weekly and vaccume my gravel once or twice a month. I probably change water more regularly than I need because it's so easy and I know my tank is well stocked. I recently bought three trapdoor snails and when I received them I got six. I acclimated them to the tank as I would anything else. A week later they respond to being touched by shrinking back in their shells but only one has been seen roaming the tank and only for a short while. Is it possible that my fish are too inquisitive for slow moving and defenseless snails? Is it possible that there's something about my water quality that is keeping them in their shells? They come out a little and seem to just be breathing water but they haven't turned themselves over or been seen feeding. Perhaps there were more nitrates or something in the water they came from. My tank has no ammonia or nitrites but must have some nitrates if it's grown a bit of algae. I keep it at about 78 degrees and use prime and stress coat only. I am considering an experiment where I would put the snails in a breathable holding cell within the aquarium to see if they roam about the container. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I hope they're not unhappy or stressed. I thought these things were tough as nails.

I don't think they're apple snails or mystery snails. They do have a trapdoor, and are similar in size to a golf ball and are dark green with algae growing on them. One was moving a bit today but then he's not moving now. I don't know what's up.

aisforangelfish said:
I don't think they're apple snails or mystery snails. They do have a trapdoor, and are similar in size to a golf ball and are dark green with algae growing on them. One was moving a bit today but then he's not moving now. I don't know what's up.

Can you post a picture? They sound like mystery snails to me. If they are, they can seem to goes days without moving. Perfectly normal. Sometimes they float on the top of the water, not moving, for days and you think they are dead just to snap out of it and crawl away. have you tried feeding them an algae wafer after lights out?

I put a picture of one on my profile in my aquarium album. I was under the impression that only trapdoor snails had trapdoors. I've only seen like three varieties of snails though. Thanks for the help! I know some snails can "play dead" for long periods of time, but how long should I wait before I begin to worry. Longer than a week seems a bit much to me but I don't know. I have tried feeding them algae wafers and haven't noticed any attraction. I will keep trying though, before night this time. I need to try cucumbers, as I hear snails like those too. Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

I had a few snails that really loved blanched spinach. I would put it right in front of them so they couldn't possibly miss it.

Pic looks like an apple/mystery snail. If the trap door is shut tightly that's a good sign. If they are dead they will hang loosely open and not respond to touch. They will also stink! Mine love peas and green beans.

One of mine likes to play dead. I've had him for over a week and he finally decided to start moving around last night. Today, he's MIA. And a lot of snails have a trapdoor, not just the Japanese Trapdoor Snails. :)

That's good to know about the spinach and peas. I didn't know others had a trapdoor, how cool! I guess I'll assume they're alive and well and just not hungry yet. I did separate two of them from the rest of the fish in a breathable container with two algae wafers to see if a fish was possibly pestering them. Day 2 and no results so far :ermm: After a day or two more I will probably return them to the tank. I greatly appreciate all of your advice and time with this somewhat small or unimportant search for answers. I don't wanna kill the poor suckers, much less anything else.

So long as he doesn't stink, he's alive. I had to remind myself of that a number of times *lol*

Back
Top Bottom