Treat or condition RO\DI water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjldad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thinking about getting a RO\DI setup and was wondering what if any is needed to condition the RO\DI water?? It is pure water so no buffering capacity or anything, right?

Why the need for RO? No buffering capacity.

yeah, you definately need to treat it with something... what kind of fish are in the tank youre putting this in? Tap is way better than ro/di when it comes to fw unless your tap is just nasty or something

I was thinking it would help with Diatoms/brown algae.. seems like every time I do a PWC I get it back worse than before... Better to run a phosphate pad? I have a couple low light plants and about 1.6 WPG... Thoughts?

They'll "burn themselves out". If you reduce them now, they'll likely just be prolonged.

I have two tanks..

29g 4 months since cycle
Aquarium Gravel
No Live plants
LED lighting
Ph at 7.6 which is my tap water after conditioning and waiting 24 hours..

75g 1 month old, seeded from 29g
Play Sand Substrate
A couple small live plants
Many pieces of driftwood which has caused the ph to drop to 7.0...

Which also leads me in to the problem of my PWC on the 75g.. The Ph is at 7... My tap after conditioning is 7.6.. With a 50% PWC.. I am assuming it will jump to 7.3.. Is this bad? Is RO water neutral at a Ph of 7.0?

As far as the diatoms.. Don't do anything with them? Don't scrape them off the sides or anything and they will eventually die out....

Back
Top Bottom