Treated or tap to tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I make my water changes, do I treat the water first or is it okay to go from tap to tank as long as the temperature is the same?

I dose the tank and then run hose to fill. No issues.

However there was a thread where the fish were playing in the current and must of got too much untreated tap water. So some care needed.

Tap to tank is fine - MANY people do that. They dose the tank with conditioner and then add the water. Conditioner works on contact so as the new water enters the tank it's all mixed an neutralized. Lots of people report that their fish love swimming in the current of the new water (those that use a water changer).

Tap to tank is fine - MANY people do that. They dose the tank with conditioner and then add the water. Conditioner works on contact so as the new water enters the tank it's all mixed an neutralized. Lots of people report that their fish love swimming in the current of the new water (those that use a water changer).
+1 my fish do that all the time.

If your going tap to tank then just dose prime to treat the entire volume of the tank.

Following. I always do tap to tank with buckets and once I'm done, I then add prime and all my ferts. I haven't had any issues but I never knew you could add conditioner to the tank before adding water. So glad I have this forum!

In my big tank I dose for the total volume then add water directly from the sink using the Python, then usually top it off with another capful or two of prime before turning the filter on, usually aiming right around the intake. For my small betta tank I just add the dechlorinator to the bucket then fill the tank using a pitcher.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

When doing a weekly partial water change you add prime or some other conditioner. Do you calculate the amount of conditioner for the entire tank or only the amount of water changed?

When doing a weekly partial water change you add prime or some other conditioner. Do you calculate the amount of conditioner for the entire tank or only the amount of water changed?

If you are using a hose to put water into the tank treat the entire tank.

If you are bucketing the water into the tank than threat the volume in the buckets

Back
Top Bottom