Treating ocean driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregg604

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Found some amazing sinking driftwood on the beach and wanted to put it in my freshwater tank. Asked a friend and he said he thought I might have to boil it in some type of chemical before putting it in the tank, just to help it from breaking down, and to kill any bacteria. Any idea what i boil it in?

A really big pot!

LOL should be fine just boiling it in water. I don't know of anything you can add which will keep it from breaking down, unless you were to coat it with a polymer thats aquarium safe.

Well...ummm...I would really hesitate to put something from the ocean in a freshwater tank. When my husband was a kid, he and his brothers found some washed up coral and driftwood, and wanted them in their freshwater tank. He said they rinsed it very well. But all the fish died. Maybe you can't ever get the salt or saltwater organisms out. Now maybe if you were to coat it with a polymer substance, that would work. I don't have any experience with that. But I don't know; just my opinion, but I would be really hesitant to do this.

A peice of wood from anywhere can introduce all kinds of bad stuff, but it can be killed first and perfectly safe. I soak mine in sea salt water for about 2 weeks changing regularly, then boil it for hours. smells like tea. let it cool / soak in declorinated water for a day then put it in.

Scottw68TN said:
A peice of wood from anywhere can introduce all kinds of bad stuff, but it can be killed first and perfectly safe. I soak mine in sea salt water for about 2 weeks changing regularly, then boil it for hours. smells like tea. let it cool / soak in declorinated water for a day then put it in.

So does the salt help to sterilize it? And what about rotting? I am concerned that the wood will break down over time affecting the PH.

Well, they make 'Fake' driftwood... ya' don't have to worry about it leeching or anything?!?!? It is made of a plastic.. probablly some sort of poly-resin?!?!
Good luck! :wink:

Yes, the wood will break down over time and affect the pH. Just how much depends on the size of your tank and the GH and KH (hardness) values of your tank. I have a small piece of ocean/beach drift wood in my tank with java fern growing on it. I boiled and soaked it for quite awhile then added to the tank. You can always soak in bleach first which will kill off an critters living in the wood. And when you boil it you must cycle the boiling. Let it boil for 20 minutes or so then let it cool down to room temo and dump the water. Then add new water and repeat a few times. The temperature cycling helps to draw things out of the wood.

HOLLIEO said:
Well, they make 'Fake' driftwood... ya' don't have to worry about it leeching or anything?!?!? It is made of a plastic.. probablly some sort of poly-resin?!?!
Good luck! :wink:

I have a " fake " stump.

Its fricken awesome, looks very realistic and my guys love it :D

It will lower the PH. I use the salt because it will draw stuff out out of the wood and kill bacteria. I usually don't cycle boil unless a lot of tannins come out while boiling they usually stop some after soaking in the salt water with frequent changes. The water should be much lighter than tea after boiling along time. and if it smells like a tea (different but similar depends on wood etc.) thats good. If it has a more urine smell thats bad. I have done about a dozen peices and given them away and sold them so for no one has gotten anything bad or discolored the water. All my wood was scavanged from the beaches of the east coast and most are cedar which is resisitant to water decay. the plecos love it and need it!

Back
Top Bottom