Tree Frog Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so i was out on my grandpas farm today helping him out and shooting some stuff but then we went to pump some water out of the well and plop out comes one of those cool tree frogs who changes colors and falls into the bucket ... so i swipe him up and bring him home cause my gf (aka Vipergirl) has been wanting a african dwarf frog or any frog for that matter. So has anyone ever kept one of these and there a cheap way to set up a home for him and what do you feed em .... or can she put it in her tank with her betta? its bigger than an african dwarf frog but not bigger than her betta ... TIA

Ray

yes glossy ... and its back legs are kind yellowish ... he was gray when i found him now he seems to have turned a little green

Ray

yeah I got years on keeping them and lizards and snakes, really what works best for a small frog like that is one of those betta bowls that havea lid that you can get for like 4 bucks, place some rocks, moss and a good branch to perch on, and a small pool of water, tupaware dishes work good but make sure its no to deep, place anywhere with adequete lighting, you can feed it feeder crickets from your locla pet store, usually a dozen is a dollar

So basically anything with a lid and a light with some water and something to get out of the water ...... how big of holder would u say like 5 gal or 2 1/2 gal? ballpark it .... but she couldnt keep it with the betta for sure right?
thanks

Ray

I think it's kinda cruel to take an animal from the wild and put it in a small glass box... besides they might cary a disease

Where do you think some of the fish you buy come from?

EDIT: In fact where do you think all animals came from?

I know here in Australia it's illegal to keep any of the fauna without certain liscenses, I have no idea where your from, but it may be worth checking that out.

Well most of the fishes are breed specially for selling... If you dont buy them and keep in your aquarium, someone else will... besides, most of the pet-store fishes and animals have never seen wild a.k.a freedom... some SW fish does breed only in wild tho...

PS zephyr's right! you should chek what laws have to say about that! I know that in Latvia you can keep only most common spiecies, otherwise they can throw you into a jail for two years... (as far as I know, no one has ever gotten to jail tho...)

Just cause ur pet was breed in captivity doesnt mean they still didnt come from the wild IMO .... and i used to keep frogs and toads when i was a little kid here in Kansas and im pretty sure its not illegal and i never went to jail .... but a lot of FRESHWATER fish you do buy come from the wild also becasue some cant be bred in captivity

Thats it .... and i dont know what arboreal means but im assuming like a rainforest and the why is because my gf loves frogs .... ill get some crikets today and see if he will eat any. If he doesnt eat ill just let him go probably and who knows she may not even want him.

Martins: i dont know what you meant by you didnt mean to convince me but whatever

Ray

to clarify on this discussion, its illegal to take any animal, living creature, rock, twig, branch, planty from a national park or state park, now if you take it from your farm in the backwoods of WV then its legal, maybe not ideal since we can't create the exact enviorment nature has, and dependingo n the size of your toad viperboy, a 2 1/2 gallon would be best

Actually its a farm in the backwoods of KS but same thing ... and yes i know its illegal to take things from parks .... we will just see how it plays out and ill let yall know

Ray

PS Its a frog not a toad :) and i dont think we were ever really discussing the legallity of the issue but the ethical part

I would suggest a 10 gallon tank as a proper enclosure, well-planted, especially with tall, strong plants that the frog can hang out on. A shallow dish of water, peat and earth bottom, and a daily misting or two to keep the humidity up.

i had a frog when I was a kid. I left it with a friend on vacation and her mom wouldn't let her bring it in the house. They left it outside and it either escaped or something ate it. I'm still scarred. I had that guy forever. :x

Back
Top Bottom