Tree stump idea.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I have a 29 gallon tank and saw this other tank in a video where the guy had like a tree stump in his tank.

The tank was really heavily planted and it
Looked amazing in there. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas of ways to replicate this??

Here's an image I grabbed from google of the tank:

Attachments

• image-3283354075.jpg
    image-3283354075.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,958
Hey guys I have a 29 gallon tank and saw this other tank in a video where the guy had like a tree stump in his tank.

The tank was really heavily planted and it
Looked amazing in there. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas of ways to replicate this??

Here's an image I grabbed from google of the tank:

You can look around a river, stream, or lake for small tree stumps that were uprooted. Take a shovel with you. Dig the stump out and decide whether you want it or not. If you keep it, shake as much dirt/debris off before getting back in car. When you r home, wash stump very, very well. After that follow the normal dw sinking/cleansing procedures. I don't usually use stumps as there r not many small ones. I just use any good driftwood found in nearby streams.

You can look around a river, stream, or lake for small tree stumps that were uprooted. Take a shovel with you. Dig the stump out and decide whether you want it or not. If you keep it, shake as much dirt/debris off before getting back in car. When you r home, wash stump very, very well. After that follow the normal dw sinking/cleansing procedures. I don't usually use stumps as there r not many small ones. I just use any good driftwood found in nearby streams.

That's a good idea, we've been having some heavy flooding lately where I live so I might be able to find some uprooted easier than normal.

Otherwise I think using driftwood like you suggested might be a good idea too!

That's a good idea, we've been having some heavy flooding lately where I live so I might be able to find some uprooted easier than normal.

Otherwise I think using driftwood like you suggested might be a good idea too!

Flooding, hurricanes, etc. those r the best times to look for uprooted trees and floating driftwood pieces. Hurricane sandy just swept by our area here in nj a few months ago and there r still uprooted trees that need to be chopped/grinded. I can easily dig a small one out with ease.

Are you looking for something REAL?

If not, I bought this Petsmart "tree root" ornament (this isn't my tank) that can be made to look like the real thing:

tank.png

Are you looking for something REAL?

If not, I bought this Petsmart "tree root" ornament (this isn't my tank) that can be made to look like the real thing:

That is a nice looking one. I saw this one from OSI that looks pretty awesome. I'm just not sure how "real" it will actually look.

I didn't think about it releasing carbon. Although If you get dried out pieces like driftwood and stuff is okay then? I know if you went and chopped down a live piece it "leaks" in the tank.

Attachments

• image-168138228.jpg
    image-168138228.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 266
That is a nice looking one. I saw this one from OSI that looks pretty awesome. I'm just not sure how "real" it will actually look.

I didn't think about it releasing carbon. Although If you get dried out pieces like driftwood and stuff is okay then? I know if you went and chopped down a live piece it "leaks" in the tank.

Usually fake ones look shinier than the real ones. I prefer real ones as they give the tank a more natural look. Before I put a driftwood in the tank, I usually paint the driftwood over with polylutherane. (not the semi-gloss or gloss becuz I didn't want it looking shiny ). Polylutherane also helps the wood not rot because it is waterproof and it will prevent most carbon, some tannins, etc from leaking out of the wood.

Usually fake ones look shinier than the real ones. I prefer real ones as they give the tank a more natural look. Before I put a driftwood in the tank, I usually paint the driftwood over with polylutherane. (not the semi-gloss or gloss becuz I didn't want it looking shiny ). Polylutherane also helps the wood not rot because it is waterproof and it will prevent most carbon, some tannins, etc from leaking out of the wood.

Okay! Well I decided I'm gonna try that OSI one, as I have a smaller one in another tank from that company and it looks pretty good!

However the tank that's getting the big one is gonna have a musk turtle in it, so I'm also gonna get some driftwood and see what I can create!

Really like the help guys! And that's an amazing idea with the polyurethane. That doesn't harm the fish? Or anything?

Okay! Well I decided I'm gonna try that OSI one, as I have a smaller one in another tank from that company and it looks pretty good!

However the tank that's getting the big one is gonna have a musk turtle in it, so I'm also gonna get some driftwood and see what I can create!

Really like the help guys! And that's an amazing idea with the polyurethane. That doesn't harm the fish? Or anything?

Only the polylutherane with some kind of chemical ( starts with a b but I forgot ) that makes it not solidify is not good towards fish. As long as it doesn't have that chemical, the polylutherane should be fine.

Only the polylutherane with some kind of chemical ( starts with a b but I forgot ) that makes it not solidify is not good towards fish. As long as it doesn't have that chemical, the polylutherane should be fine.

But then the fish couldn't nibble on it right? Sorry I am a noob!

Also OP, someone recently (can't remember what forum. Maybe in planted!) just found a nice "root system" from outside and put it in their tank. Looked awesome.

But then the fish couldn't nibble on it right? Sorry I am a noob!

Also OP, someone recently (can't remember what forum. Maybe in planted!) just found a nice "root system" from outside and put it in their tank. Looked awesome.

Ahh can you give a link or a pic? I scanned through planted looking for it. If not its cool! I'm excited to see how my tank will turn out with all this.

Ahh can you give a link or a pic? I scanned through planted looking for it. If not its cool! I'm excited to see how my tank will turn out with all this.

I subscribed to it lol. Not sure how to link but its by butterfly_koi and thread is called "new driftwood piece" and in the member show off forum! Hope this is "legal" lol and not doing anything bad (or creepy!). There are more (tanks with rooted tree stumps) out there, I've seen them here.

I subscribed to it lol. Not sure how to link but its by butterfly_koi and thread is called "new driftwood piece" and in the member show off forum! Hope this is "legal" lol and not doing anything bad (or creepy!). There are more (tanks with rooted tree stumps) out there, I've seen them here.

Ah thank you! I found it! That's pretty cool. I'm gonna go driftwood hunting tomorrow. I'm excited! Hopefully I can find something like this!

I've got a couple of huge stumps in my tanks while they're not planted stumps are not hard to find if you look around, one is 47" and one is 60".

pic1-585x250.jpg

Back
Top Bottom