Tropical Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puffymcstuff

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 gallon hex with 3 african cichlids and a south American cichlid and 2 pictus and 2 corys and a long black skirt tetra.
I'm in the process if searching for a place to rehome the cichlids and pictus.
That all being said, I want to refill with tropical community fish that get small to medium sized and are very colorful.

First fill out your tetra and Cory schools to five. Then the options are all up to you! Rainbows, danios, rasboras, barbs, tetras, bettas, Otos, guppies, livebearers, it's all up to you! :)

If you don't mind having a semi-aggressive tropical ... Barbs are a good choice. Most only grow to 4 inches in length or less and have a varied color and pattern combination. A lot of Barbs are actually peaceful ... it's mostly the TigerBarbs that are the notorious fin nippers.

I have a 60 gallon hex with 3 african cichlids and a south American cichlid and 2 pictus and 2 corys and a long black skirt tetra.
I'm in the process if searching for a place to rehome the cichlids and pictus.
That all being said, I want to refill with tropical community fish that get small to medium sized and are very colorful.

Once the African cichlids and pictus are rehomed, I'd first suggest adding to your cories and either going with a full school of 8ish black skirts or rehoming the one. Then you'd have room for some smaller cichlids (apistos, keyholes, convicts, etc.) and a school of something compatible down the road a ways. What are your preferences? Want a SA theme tank or just a random mix of colorful compatible fish? What type of SA cichlid is it that you currently have?

HN1 said:
Once the African cichlids and pictus are rehomed, I'd first suggest adding to your cories and either going with a full school of 8ish black skirts or rehoming the one. Then you'd have room for some smaller cichlids (apistos, keyholes, convicts, etc.) and a school of something compatible down the road a ways. What are your preferences? Want a SA theme tank or just a random mix of colorful compatible fish? What type of SA cichlid is it that you currently have?

I want to rehome the SA (firemouth) and have a tropical community. Some medium sized Colorfuls.

bruinsbro1997 said:
First fill out your tetra and Cory schools to five. Then the options are all up to you! Rainbows, danios, rasboras, barbs, tetras, bettas, Otos, guppies, livebearers, it's all up to you! :)

I'm thinking that what I want to do is have rainbows and gouramis, but I don't know if those go together or which types of each would work with tetras and corys.

maddybrat said:
Fancy guppies?! :)

I dont like livebearers because they just don't last very long and the last time o got some, they died right away before even having babies!

So!... Here's what I've got so far:

Another two or three corys
Another two or three skirts
Three dwarf gouramis
Two angelfish
6-10 neons
And three to five of another colorful tetra

Whatdya guys think?

This would be my advice:

If you want two angels, start out with 4-5 small ones, then once you get a good pair, rehome the others. If not, it's been my experience that angels can end up getting somewhat aggressive in their old age. Plus with having a hex-tank, you're not providing much swimming space in terms of length, so if you get a pair that doesn't get along they'll be in each others face constantly.

Furthermore, IME BST's can be rather nippy at times, and might go after your angels fins so keep a watch on that. Just my 2 cents.

bstnrdsx said:
This would be my advice:

If you want two angels, start out with 4-5 small ones, then once you get a good pair, rehome the others. If not, it's been my experience that angels can end up getting somewhat aggressive in their old age. Plus with having a hex-tank, you're not providing much swimming space in terms of length, so if you get a pair that doesn't get along they'll be in each others face constantly.

Furthermore, IME BST's can be rather nippy at times, and might go after your angels fins so keep a watch on that. Just my 2 cents.

First of all, what's IME
and what's BST
And thanks for the warning I might get two or three, I can't afford anything more, I'm really on the edge for cash.

IME is an abreviation for "in my experience". You have to fill in those schools. BST are already nippy, giving them a bigger school will lessen the chances of them nipping other fish. Cories need at least four, preferably five to a group. DG trios only work IMO/E when you have two females to one male, it was fine in my tank. Just my thoughts.

bruinsbro1997 said:
IME is an abreviation for "in my experience". You have to fill in those schools. BST are already nippy, giving them a bigger school will lessen the chances of them nipping other fish. Cories need at least four, preferably five to a group. DG trios only work IMO/E when you have two females to one male, it was fine in my tank. Just my thoughts.

Ok thanks!
Anyone else!??

If you don't want to worry about getting the dwarf gouramis in a trio, you might consider one regular gourami. They do fine in a community tank as long as there's only one of them. More than that and they can get aggressive with each other. They're also a bit more hardy than dwarfs IME.

Aqua315 said:
If you don't want to worry about getting the dwarf gouramis in a trio, you might consider one regular gourami. They do fine in a community tank as long as there's only one of them. More than that and they can get aggressive with each other. They're also a bit more hardy than dwarfs IME.

Ok, I'll look at that, thanks.

IMO the best gouramis to get (if you can find them) are moonlight and pearl gouramis, they're both very pretty, look good on dark substrate and are one of the more peaceful and docile of the gouramis.

I've had a blue gourami in with tetras and other small fish for over a year. He completely ignores them to the point I'm not even sure he knows they're there! He's pretty shy though so I guess I could have gotten one of the more peaceful blue gouramis. I've never seen moonlight or pearl gouramis at any of my LFS's

Aqua315 said:
I've had a blue gourami in with tetras and other small fish for over a year. He completely ignores them to the point I'm not even sure he knows they're there! He's pretty shy though so I guess I could have gotten one of the more peaceful blue gouramis. I've never seen moonlight or pearl gouramis at any of my LFS's

Yea... I don't think petsmart sells moonlight gouramis, but they sell blue, gold, and opaline gouramis. What about those.

Gold gouramis get HuGE I have one in one of my tanks and it is like six inches long. Opalines IMO are quite aggressive most of the time. It all depends on your gouami's personality really, they all have different personalities.

Back
Top Bottom