Trouble finding pool filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$24 for 25lbs is alot though isn't it? How much is this stuff supposed to cost?

I can't remember what we spent but I think it was not more than $10 or $12.

hope all goes well. just remember to rinse rinse rinse. It's going to take a loooong time rinsing. But, IMO, it's worth it. Soooo much cheeper than buying LFS sand. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!
when i put the PFS in my tanks,i forgot to rinse both times,and there was no clouding. not suggesting the op shouldnt rinse,jusdt saying it might not take that long

One thing to keep an eye out for on the sites I linked is the type of sand. I know many of the companies sell PFS "alternatives" which cost more and serve additional purposes in a swimming pool filter. I'm personally not sure with their compatibility in an aquarium setting. Both companies have great customer service. If you'd like, just call their 800 number...tell them you want normal PFS and they'll give you a price. They really are all about free overnight shipping so it won't hurt to ask :)

eco23 said:
One thing to keep an eye out for on the sites I linked is the type of sand. I know many of the companies sell PFS "alternatives" which cost more and serve additional purposes in a swimming pool filter. I'm personally not sure with their compatibility in an aquarium setting. Both companies have great customer service. If you'd like, just call their 800 number...tell them you want normal PFS and they'll give you a price. They really are all about free overnight shipping so it won't hurt to ask :)

I concur. I have a pool and have for many years. The Zeo sand said it reduces eye irritation, so that tells me there is some additives that messes with the ph. Low or high ph in pools are what causes eye irritation, not high chlorine. I would avoid the stuff....

when i put the PFS in my tanks,i forgot to rinse both times,and there was no clouding. not suggesting the op shouldnt rinse,jusdt saying it might not take that long

I really hope it doesn't take a lot of rinsing.

So I got the new tank setup last night, sand and all. I rinsed for about 30 minutes until the water was clear in the tub I used and only ended up with slight cloudiness in the tank. 12 hours later it's almost clear so no big deal:)

When I bought my bags of sand, the owner told me that they were ~40lb bags so I got 2... apparently they were closer to 50lbs because I only needed one and I have 1.5 inches of sand in the tank! I guess I'll just have to convert my other tank now... :whistle:

Thanks again for the store ideas.

We have used this too. If you have any fish that like to burrow you might want to be careful. It's not as..... rounded at PFS. And the rinsing will take a very long time. But we have used it with no issues. For the price you can't beat it. Just make sure it has no additives, but it says natural.... just see if there is any fine print. I am by no means an expert, so others may weigh in.

Yeah..I read the same. That is why I asked to make sure I'm not missing something.

Anyhow, I'm gonna try and get a hold of a spa place again and see if I get an answer. Otherwise I may pick me up some of this later.

Back
Top Bottom