trouble in my ten gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chelseachuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
so this was my first tank and i made a lot of mistakes with this tank. today i finally managed to move the last two fish into my 29 gallon tank. i took about half the water out the 10 gallon. attempted to gravel vac (lol, read my other thread). there is currently NO FISH in the tank. and the ammonia level is still high!!!!!!! driving me crazy how can i fix this??? even after all the work when i cleaned it. can someone tell me what i am doing wrong??

my future plan is to only get TWO fish but not until my ammonia is completely at zero. that was my fish mistake i loaded the tank up with fish =/ sigh

YOu shouldn't actually clean a tank while it is cycling. Especially the filter.

Only do PWC for the health of the fish, but let everything else build up that beneficial bacteria!

its been running for a few weeks now but after i added the water i tested it and ammonia is basically off the chart the darkest saddest green i have ever seen ;(.. left the filter alone just attempted to clean to gravel which i could not get started and changed the water.

Another water change then, just keep running the filter to establish bacteria

how much water do u think i should take out? ill probably do that tomorrow. so frustrating i took about half water today lol

mudraker said:
YOu shouldn't actually clean a tank while it is cycling. Especially the filter.

Only do PWC for the health of the fish, but let everything else build up that beneficial bacteria!

Well actually, if nitrites or ammonia get too high, it can stall the cycle... So the 50% change was probably a good thing.

It's been like this for a week. I just cleaned gravel and did a pwc ammonia was still off the chart. So I did another gravel vac and about to add water now.

The only thing I can say is be religious with your water changes. With time the ammonia will go back down.

I added water it's still a dark green but it's lighter then before. Do u think it's the gravel?? I did have fish in there for a couple weeks and maybe there's waste and food stuck in it still ?

just out of curiosity i have fossilized coral rock in my tank like three rocks to be exact... is it possible thats causing the ammonia spike ???

I would stop cleaning the gravel because bacteria grows on that too, so if your constantly disturbing it, the bacteria won't have time to develop

I agree, I have heard it can be bad to gravel vac too often during a cycle. It is just that once the ammonia gets off the charts, it is going to take a while and multiple water changes to get it down. I know it is hard to be patient!

Back
Top Bottom