Trouble with Catfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gundy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, had my second catfish death today :cry: . I lost my otto a couple weeks back in my tank because he wouldn't eat. His stomach was shrunken bad. And today my wife lost one of her rubbernose/bulldog plecos. Again, its stomach was shrunken and barely visible. Definitely looks like it hadn't been eating, nor did we ever notice it attempting to eat. We used two veggie clips in the tank, one for cucumbers/zucc and the other for green marine algae sheets ( small pieces at a time ). NONE of the two rubbernose plecos touched it. Yet at the LFS they were all over the sheets munching away. My otto was the same way, I had a veggie clip with a cucumber/zucc in it every night, and always dropped algae disc in a corner as well and he never touched them.

The bulldogs destroyed the algae she had in her tank. A bad outbreak in diatoms and green algae, was gone over night when we first introduced them.

What am I doing wrong? Water parameters are in check. He had a small case of ick we were JUST getting ready to treat for, nothing compared to what I have seen though. Water changes every week.

Why aren't they eating the veggies, or eating at all? I have a bad feeling about the remaining little bulldog, my wife has grown quite attached to the little fella.

That sucks :(

I have no idea why they would't be eating, sorry.

Plecos are usually nocturnal...did you drop the food in at night, after lights out? I notice that if I don't drop the wafers in after the lights go off, the fish gobble up the algae wafers before the pleco can get to it.

Just an idea

Yeah I would drop a algae wafer in at nights, and could see it the next morning all soggy and exploded in the water. The other fish really don't touch it.

Also put cucumbers in when I was headed to bed.

Anyways, what I feared happened today; the second bulldog pleco died this morning. Not sure what happened, but his stomach looks really flat to. He found the algae sheet last night and grazed it for about 2 minutes and was appearing to do fine.. I guess not :(

Back
Top Bottom