True or False about substrates(gravel, sand, ect.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

True or False: Substrate a pund per gallon?????!!!!!!?!?!?!

• True: You need 1 lb per gallon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • False: Put whatever seems like enough for you

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
R

Rudy_627

are ya'll serious that you need 1 lb of substrate per gallon????? cause im getting a 10 gal (my dad has a 125 gal) that i have to put 10 lbs of sand in my tank????? cause thats ALOTTA sand

Actually Rudy, you may need more than 10 lbs of sand. It may seem like a lot of sand, but when you actually put it in the tank, it won't look like much. The rule of thumb with sand is that you have at least 1 and a half to three inches of sand in your tank. We have a 55 gal with 65 lbs of sand and actually neeed to add at least another 15 to 25 lbs.

DANG thats alot im getting my parents to buy me a 55 gal instead of a 10 gal tank but im going FOWLR or intead for cheaper things just FO and should i buy LR from the LFS or order it and another thing do i need to wait for a NC to add my LR????

10 pounds of sand in a 10 gal does sould like alot, doesn't it? But it's really not if you consider the volume it fills. 10 pounds of water is about 1.2 gallons. Sand is much denser than water, so 10 pounds of it probably only fills about half a gallon. I have 15 pounds of gravel in my 10 gal, and it barely covers the bottom to a depth of 1.5 inches!

and i need some help i dont know of any LFS 's that have an online store in tulsa oklahoma cause i need to look at perfecto tanks for me

DANG thats alot im getting my parents to buy me a 55 gal instead of a 10 gal tank but im going FOWLR or intead for cheaper things just FO and should i buy LR from the LFS or order it and another thing do i need to wait for a NC to add my LR????
These terms are all for a SW tank. If you want a salt water tank, you should ask your question in the SW forums.

My daughters old 10 Gal (replaced it for a 16Gal earlier) had a very fine sand substrate, (the cory loved it) but it was 10lbs and gave about 1" on the bottom, the 16 (same area) has gravel with about 14lbs for 2", so yes, you need far more sand. (66% more) weight to give the same depth.

so SW is for LR only cause i 4got oops :oops: :( :cry: sorry but anyways im getting 55 gal need tips (glass, Oceanic, or Perfecto) what do you like best(i personally like glass but i dont have the money)

IMO Oceanic makes the best glass aquariums, if u mean all-glass aquariums by glass then i would say that they run a close second, perfecto is decent, but i think they have more flaws than the other two.

BTW u may want to post this question seperatly that way u might recieve more responses

yes LR is SW.

I have 30 lbs. of sand in my 45g tank. and there is enough for my Cichlids to play with. I would like to get another 20 lbs. or more. soon I hope.

IMO you need more sand than gravel.

Like I said on your "my tank" post!! "I put in 1 pound of gravel per gallon the tank is. So 10 pounds of gravel for a 10g is what I do. "

1 pound of gravel per gallon is or the rule of thumb that I have hear and have used. sand I have used more. when I can.

Most of the people I know, use gravel they don't like sand. personally I like sand better it is more appealing to the eye. And i belive it is more naturel than gravel than gravel, but if the tank or I should say the filtration is not set up right you can have problems, with the sand in your filters. That is why I don't think my friends like sand, because the sand gets in there filters.

ok once again FOWP is what im doing i might not have the money to do that but do i need to wait for a cycle till i add the plants?

You do not need to wait for the cycle to add the plants. If you have strong light and CO2 injection and you are dosing ferts properly (not the route I would go unless you are experienced with planted tanks) the plants will actually uptake the ammonia and you don't even really have a true cycle like we are all familiar with. You can add your fish and go on about your business.

If your setup is not as above, then you can just add your plants and cycle your tank like normal. The cycle is not going to harm most plants if they have adequate light.

Rudy_627 said:
ok once again FOWP is what im doing i might not have the money to do that but do i need to wait for a cycle till i add the plants?

LOL This is the first time you have said anything about plants. They are fun to have my fish love them! :lol:

will the fish eat them or hide in them and if the fish eat them will they die? what kind of fish/plants do you think i should get for my 55 gal

ok so im getting a 55 gal but do i need a serious filter setup like you know those side boxes with filters or can i just keep it in my room cause i have a bathroom right across the hall(literally) cause i need to know this i gotta have my room completly clean till i get my tank so tell me the deal with this im desperate i dont wanna get the tank and the equipment and scwer it up right away by killing my plants and so i have to have my plants in there for about 3 weeks till i can add my fish cause im guessing that i can put my plants in there wait about a day and add my algae eaters BTW im FOWP so i would appreciate it if you could help me

Back
Top Bottom