True Rummynose question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
How difficult is it to find the rummynose tetras that have the blue on their tail? I believe those are referred to as "true rummynose." I would like to get about 7-10 of them but I was told the ones with the blue tailes were more difficult to get ahold of.

How true is that?

It would seem pretty difficult to me...most rummy-nose tetras in your LFS are false rummy noses...

I haven't seen them with Blue on their tails before. I have a school of True Rummies, have you checked this site? It shows you the difference between the three Rummies.

I also have not seen them with Blue on their tails and I have a school of True Rummies. True Rummies have the red that goes past their gills. Also, on their tails, the black and white is even. I have never heard about them having blue on their tails. ;)

Live aquaria sells true rummynose, and the picture displays one with blue on the tail. You can order them from there.

But, then when you click to see a larger image, it shows you rummynose with black and white tails.

Is the liveaquaria picture tricking you into thinking they have blue tails, because i have never heard of this either.

I'm sure their pictures are a little digitally enhanced. It looks to me like the first pictures you see (before you click for the bigger one) has been enhanced a little too much and it just makes it looks like there is blue on the fish. But I've never seen any like that in person. The Cardinal tetra picture makes it look orange-ish...but when you click for the picture of the school of Cardinals, they look normal. I think they went a little crazy enhancing the pictures. :)

yes, and the silver tip tetras, they are not gold, the picture was enhanced so much that there is no more silver tip! whats up with that. Anyways, i think we can come to a conclusion that there is no such thing as blue tailed rummynose.

I swear I have seen one with a blue tail in a fish store before and I didn't buy them at the time thinking I could come back and get some later (now I wish I purchased them!). Unless my mind is playing tricks on me!

Thanks everyone for the information and websites. Everything Ive seen doesn't mention anything about having a blue tail (even though Ive seen them like the picture on liveaquaria but not as blue). Hmmm...

Live Aquaria even lists them as having black on their tails, no blue. If you do find them, I'd love to see pics.

Live aquaria sells true rummynose, and the picture displays one with blue on the tail.
According to the article that FF has posted, they don't. The true rummynose would be h. bleheri (which I have), and the false rummynose would be h. rhodostomus (which LA sells) or p. georgiae.

I agree, they don't have any blue on their tails, just black and white. Someone over at LA got a little crazy with the Photoshop I guess!

Back
Top Bottom