True SAE? (Photos)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linwood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought 8 SAE from a local small LFS.

I first did a lot of reading to make sure I (thought) I could recognize them, and think they are real SAE. And they behaved like it, and are doing fine - tank just plain clean of staghorn and hair algae of various sorts, and almost all BBA (didn't have a lot but most is gone). And extremely entertaining to watch (I have 6 in one tank, 2 in a smaller).

However... was back at that same LFS and his tank from which I got the fish now was labeled "Flying fox". Same fish, new label. I asked about it -- he said "flying fox and SAE are the same". I realize they are not, but now I'm worried about how he came to get them, and if I am mistaken on identification.

Oh... one more thing ... they are farm raised down in Florida, and I've heard SAE do not breed in captivity. I mentioned that and he said "hormones", which I guess is possible.

Anyway... any experts that can tell me if what I have is "True" SAE?

Incidentally -- my main clues are the stripe going through the tail, the transparent fins, and only one pair of barbels. And behaviorally they seem to match descriptions - less aggressive than I've read of others.

The color is more accurate in the first; the second got a real reflection off the flash in the bottom scales, but the second shows the mouth parts better.

So... true SAE?

i-Dxj4bRg-X2.jpg

i-SgXpjsk-X2.jpg

But the fox should have two pairs of barbels, right? not one? These definitely have one pair.

They also don't have color in the fins?

How sure are you, and is there anything I can photograph up closer that might be very definitive?

Sae, I've spent time studying the 4 mature adults at my lfs compared to the tank of demon spawn they just received.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sae, I've spent time studying the 4 mature adults at my lfs compared to the tank of demon spawn they just received.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup Brookster is right, it's indeed an SAE. The fox would have darker coloration all over his body rather than a silver belly. SAEs are much lighter (like the photos) than the fox.

Back
Top Bottom